• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Philosophy works

Johnlogic121

One of the best books I have found on Western Philosophy is called "The Story of Philosophy" by Will Durant. Will Durant was a historian who wrote a ten volume set on the history of the world with the help of his wife, but his real passion appears to have been philosophy. His book is filled with simple and engaging descriptions of the work of about fifteen of the world's major philosophers. Philosophy of the martial arts, however, is a little bit more obscure to research. Aikido dojos tend to spend a little bit of time each week discussing these issues during class in a kind of informal lecture format, but most martial artists get far less exposure to martial arts philosophy ideas. People usually research a lot of that stuff outside of class or recite a dojo creed that emphasizes nonviolence and loyalty to your country and stuff like that. Having some bit of a philosophical attitude can discourage fights, however. Does anybody know of any good martial art philosophy literature? How does it connect with larger philosophical movements, like Daoist philosophy or Buddhist philosophy? Do you feel a desire for more philosophical teachings in your current martial arts curriculum? Would some kind of philosophical content on the Ultimate Fighting Championship television show help the fighters be better rolemodels for kids? Does anybody feel that Western Philosophy is dead, except in academia? -JL

First Grandmaster - Montgomery Style Karate; 12 year Practitioner - Bujinkan Style Ninjutsu; Isshinryu, Judo, Mang Chaun Kung Fu, Kempo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I personally don't care for much philosophy in my MA training. I have my own ideals and focuses, and I don't see any reason to push them on anyone else.

Mine goes hand in hand with Kajukenbo's: "I come in peace, bearing no weapons, but if my life or my principles are at stake, be it a life or death situation, for better or worse, i have my hands, my prayers and my Martial Arts(kajukenbo) to face you"

Apart from that, Kajukenbo has Christian roots, and an official Christian prayer. In my school, however, being in a state university, we allow all religions to join.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

With bushid man here, I'd let acadamia keep philosophy. At it's core, the MA's are about fighting.

Now, if you do want to focus on more of a philosophical bent I'd reccomend Forrest Morgan's book Living the Martial Way. It has more to do with warriorhood than philosophy but it strikes me as more to the core of the arts than other works.

• 3 weeks later...

I think this discussion can be broken into two different themes. Semantics.

Does philosophy play a part in MA. Sure, even if it is simply, I train to survive a fight, protect myself or others, etc to more complex themes like finding your spiritual center and not harming people.

Or is it when I get in a fight I want to stay off the ground, run like hell when I get a chance, escalate the weaponry, etc.

Books are going to be bushido based: Hagakure, book of five rings, etc.

They could also be warriorhood based - Living the Martial way.

Strategic vs tactical. The strategic is what you develop to rationalize what you do in the tactical situation.