• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How many grappling holds do you need?

Thanks for that. Apart from the gi chokes, I would say this puts me at roughly a blue belt BJJ level.

That may or may not be true. But it's important to remember that knowing the moves is different from knowing how to apply each. This list in no way validates rank for anyone. If you want to know where you stand, go try out a jiu-jitsu class. The technical level of each technique is also a big deal. It's not enough to say, here's a kimura. You need to be able to explain what each body part is doing and where it's moving on the given technique. Lastly, it differs from organization to organization.

The best example of what I mean is the place where I now teach. It's a school with an instructor who has trained in many styles. When I showed him the list, he reacted alot like you. However, despite knowing what the moves where, he was no where near ready for blue belt. I even brought in some of my blue belt friends to prove it to him.

Again, not saying your skill isn't there. Just saying that some arbitrary list you find online is not a good benchmark.

True. Aperson can know a jab, cross, hook, uppercut and cover yet not be a good boxer.

Absolutely!

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know I used to be like that. Always reading in books and vids to find new techniques stuff to try out. But the problem was the only techniques I could apply were the ones I knew and used alot.

Application is everything. Technique is pointless otherwise.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

We get some good BJJ instruction over here, but our core group are generalized MA. Books and videos are good when you have a solid understanding of basics. But quality instruction in person is far better.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

• 2 months later...

Something my mma coach has been emphasizing is basics basics basics. We've had Paedro Sauer in our school a few times since i've been there, and when he comes, my coach doesn't ask him to teach him something new or fancy, he asks to help him improve his cross choke or arm bar or triangle. As a result, my coach has some of the most dominant basic moves i've seen this side of UFC, Pride or any school i've visited.

This works well for me because i also come from and still practice on my own, shotokan, which is a very basic style where you drill a few techniques till you're blue in the face, it's helpful for me because i can keep the same mind set that instead of working on 27 different holds, i'm going to be repeatedly working on my cross choke, kimura, rear naked, etc, and i get better at each as a result, just like i got really really good at throwing jabs and reverse punches and back fists since it's what i worked on for years.

I completely agree with keeping your techniques to a workable number. I'd rather be amazing at a few then sort of ok at a ton.