• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How many grappling holds do you need?

For self defense it isn't about the submission but the position. Postional escapes, and escapes whle some one is striking you from a dominant postion ie Mount, side control, should be best place to start from. Get to your feet as quick as possible, if you can get your guard, learn to stand up quickly from the guard.

Over all finish the fight quickly as you can and get out of there. Just be mindful of the submissions you do or the strikes you throw and I would seek legal opinion as well for self defense. You may have defended your self in a fight, but coudl end up doing time for it depending on the methods you employ and if they violate your particular states laws on self defense.

• 1 year later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was once told by Rigan Machado that a purple belt may be very good at 30 techniques and a black belt may be very good at 50 techniques. When I look at what I am able to teach it is far more than anyone can use. Great wrestlers and Judo players use up to 3 moves all the time. it's their A game moves against top athletes. Now they can use and teach many more but an individual will develop what they will and can do based on body type. So everyone cannot be expected to learn and be profecient at the same things.

When we had a ground fighting defense seminar put on by the KLETC, the instructor did focus a bit on escaping and getting away, as opposed to staying on the ground and grappling with the person. When you have all the tools that you do on your duty belt, it is important to be able to make space and get to your tools. Very good point.

Awesome, and I agree completely. I'm interested in the PPCT Ground Avoidance/Ground Evasion course they offer to see how effective and realistic it is, my department may be having it and instructor certification here soon.

You know even in BJJ a good competitor learns to avoid going into the areas the other guy may be better at. It's a good strategy. The problem lies in believing a course or seminar will prepare you for the other guys years of experience of taking you there. And only years of experience will make you effective at avoiding it.

When we had a ground fighting defense seminar put on by the KLETC, the instructor did focus a bit on escaping and getting away, as opposed to staying on the ground and grappling with the person. When you have all the tools that you do on your duty belt, it is important to be able to make space and get to your tools. Very good point.

Awesome, and I agree completely. I'm interested in the PPCT Ground Avoidance/Ground Evasion course they offer to see how effective and realistic it is, my department may be having it and instructor certification here soon.

Sounds cool. One of our PD officers here just went through a course, so I need to get with him to see what he is doing now.

You know even in BJJ a good competitor learns to avoid going into the areas the other guy may be better at. It's a good strategy. The problem lies in believing a course or seminar will prepare you for the other guys years of experience of taking you there. And only years of experience will make you effective at avoiding it.

This is true, but not everyone is going to have the time or the resources to devote to full-time, or even part-time, BJJ training. So, its good to get a condensed idea of what to do, and to practice (key word there), so that you at least have a plan when you get taken down.

Agreed. Let me add this I would employ a Judo or wrestling coach for avoidance drills. Most BJJ guys have weak takedowns. Not all, we have very good standup, judo and wrestling. But many do not. A Bjj coach would be better to show how to escape bad positions. People who are so called "certified" means nothing except to collect a check from the government and organizations. Usually someone who could not stay on their feet with an experienced grappler. I'm really trying to offer some sound advice. Not just be argumentative.

I have many schools of varying styles in the area and some are very good at what they do. I have trained many of these people at seminars and such only to see them turn around and give anti grappling seminars to there students and public. This is hilarious to me cause these guys can't stay on there feet for more than a few seconds. Question authority.

Certified isn't so much that one is collecting a check, but one has met requirement levels to teach what they have been taught. More about competence, I guess. And yes, with your experience, you are likely to school them. And that's cool. You can school them all you want. Or, you could offer up what you know and help out, and try to make it better in your eyes. I'm sure the powers that be would like to have the advise of someone with that kind of experience in guiding the programs. Because believe me, these people take the idea of "keeping cops alive" very serious. The goal at the end of the shift, is to be home at the end of the shift.