• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How many grappling holds do you need?

Almost for free! lol I only charge them 30 a month. And I do free seminars every so often as well. I also do free rape defense seminars for their wives and hospitals and such. Even though we are running a business I feel it's important to give back to the community that supports us!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As to the PPCT GAGE program I can tell you that was less than impressed with the stuff that we got on our end. The basic movements they taught were lacking in some important information to maximize theireffetiveness.

It was like someone put a program together with the gross movements but no real understanding of them.

Where PPCT shines is it's weapons disarming. Not retention so much, but it too is acceptable. The baton system is fine. But, speaking as an instructor in the program for our department, I'm less than impressed with it as a whole, particularly the ground aspect.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A while back, Rickson Gracie sat down with Pedro Sauer and they came up with specific criteria for the blue belt level in BJJ. It's my belief that if the average person, only looking for basic self defense, trained just these techniques for the rest of their life; they would be quite a tough human being. It goes as follows:

Guard work:

cross choke, armbar, triangle choke, sit-over sweep, scissor sweep, kimura, guillotine, 1 pass over the legs, 1 pass under the legs

Side Control Work: Kimura, armbar, americana, 2 methods of attaining mount, 2 basic control positions (one with underhook, and one without), shrimp escape to guard, ramp (belly up) escape to the back

Mount: cross choke, Helio Gracie choke (sliding collar), armbar, americana, elbow escape, upa escape

Back: sliding collar choke, rear naked choke, back-on-ground escape to side control

Standing: Bridge gap to T-position using a side kick, Sit down throw (tani otoshi), hip throw, leg trip throw (kosoto gake)

That's the whole curriculum. The last component is a MINIMUM of 100 hours of training. Notice I said minimum! Most wait longer than that. The reason is very important. You see, that list is just the end of each move...but BJJ specializes in learning the means to attain each move. I can teach a person all of those moves in isolation, and they will still stink at Jiu-Jitsu. This is because they must learn the most efficient means of travel between the positions. That's why grappling takes so long to learn. That's where your concentration should lie.

"I am a shark. The ground is my ocean; and most people don't even know how to swim." Relson Gracie

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Thanks for that. Apart from the gi chokes, I would say this puts me at roughly a blue belt BJJ level.

That may or may not be true. But it's important to remember that knowing the moves is different from knowing how to apply each. This list in no way validates rank for anyone. If you want to know where you stand, go try out a jiu-jitsu class. The technical level of each technique is also a big deal. It's not enough to say, here's a kimura. You need to be able to explain what each body part is doing and where it's moving on the given technique. Lastly, it differs from organization to organization.

The best example of what I mean is the place where I now teach. It's a school with an instructor who has trained in many styles. When I showed him the list, he reacted alot like you. However, despite knowing what the moves where, he was no where near ready for blue belt. I even brought in some of my blue belt friends to prove it to him.

Again, not saying your skill isn't there. Just saying that some arbitrary list you find online is not a good benchmark.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Thanks for throwing that list up there. In the few times I've checked into the DT club at the college, I haven't seen that they have covered much more than what you have listed there, and I don't think it is mere coincidence. Most of what the DT instructor teaches is geared for more of a RBSD curriculum used by LEOs. And for me, I'd be more concerned with trying to gain that knowledge of being able to transition and apply those moves more than trying to attain any formal rank.

Thanks for that post.

Thanks for that. Apart from the gi chokes, I would say this puts me at roughly a blue belt BJJ level.

That may or may not be true. But it's important to remember that knowing the moves is different from knowing how to apply each. This list in no way validates rank for anyone. If you want to know where you stand, go try out a jiu-jitsu class. The technical level of each technique is also a big deal. It's not enough to say, here's a kimura. You need to be able to explain what each body part is doing and where it's moving on the given technique. Lastly, it differs from organization to organization.

The best example of what I mean is the place where I now teach. It's a school with an instructor who has trained in many styles. When I showed him the list, he reacted alot like you. However, despite knowing what the moves where, he was no where near ready for blue belt. I even brought in some of my blue belt friends to prove it to him.

Again, not saying your skill isn't there. Just saying that some arbitrary list you find online is not a good benchmark.

True. Aperson can know a jab, cross, hook, uppercut and cover yet not be a good boxer.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma