• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How many grappling holds do you need?

Some grappling systems teach as many as seven hundred and fifty graplling positions while other systems teach as few as ten. Judo, Wrestling, and Brazilian Jujutsu are popular styles that emphsize groundfighting moreso than contemporary karate, Ninjutsu or Aikido, even though Aikido and Ninjutsu have a lot of ground immobilizations (they try to remain standing when they get the prone foe into a joint lock). My question is this: how many holds or grappling restraints should the average fighter need to be comfortable with his success? I suppose that most martial artists will continue training throughout their career as martial artists, learning new moves. But suppose you dedicated only five or ten years of your life to martial arts hobbies and were looking for "just enough" grappling rather than specialization or overkill. How much grappling is just enough? The core holds and restraints are about a dozen in number, but since people usually train in both offense to make the holds and defense to break and reverse the holds, more might be good. How many grappling holds does the average Jeet Kune Do player need? -JL

First Grandmaster - Montgomery Style Karate; 12 year Practitioner - Bujinkan Style Ninjutsu; Isshinryu, Judo, Mang Chaun Kung Fu, Kempo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am no grappler, so my ideas are tentative at best. However, I would say that you would want to learn a smaller number, and then work to apply them in multiple situations, as opposed to one technique that works in one spot. In fact, BJJ focuses a lot on improving position, and being able to use combinations to get to your submissions. It is like a game of chess; you have the same pieces each game, but the moves you make differ each time in response to what you do to your opponent and how he/she reacts to your moves.

In the end, its not quantity, but quality and versatility.

More important than submissions is body position. This has to be kep for aything else to be successful. I would focus on escapes, posture and maintianing postion first. Definaly sweeps from the guard.

After that, a handful of basic submissions will go a long way. Not against a skilled BJJer but for what you're wanting them to do. You'll find that many submissions are simply a variation on a theme. An armbar mechanic is about the same no matter where you apply it from. Now the positions that you can apply it from are directly related to the mat time you put in.

Focus on body position first.

I agree, I would focus on escapes from the bottom, escapes while being hit (get a parnter to put on boxing gloves and punch you) Also I would focus on standing up from the guard, a few submission defenses, Guilotine choke, RNC, straight arm bar, bent arm bar, Kimura, Triangle choke, heal hook, straight knee bar, and toe hold. Those are your higher percetage submissions you see over and over.

Also work on take down defense, how to defend from getting thrown from the clinch. Greco Roman Wrestling does alot of this type of throwing. Also develop a good sprawl and defense against some one shooting in.

Really alot of alive training. What I mean by "Alive" is a full resisting partner. That way you can see where your at, and then drill on your weak areas, due some situational sparring, then full sparring agan to see where your at and what you improved on and what you need to work on.

More important than submissions is body position. This has to be kep for aything else to be successful. I would focus on escapes, posture and maintianing postion first. Definaly sweeps from the guard.

When we had a ground fighting defense seminar put on by the KLETC, the instructor did focus a bit on escaping and getting away, as opposed to staying on the ground and grappling with the person. When you have all the tools that you do on your duty belt, it is important to be able to make space and get to your tools. Very good point.

enough tom get you out of a situation. if you are a excellent striker and gave a general knowledge of grappling you will be fine in most situations.

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

• 2 weeks later...

"just enough" grappling rather than specialization or overkill. How much grappling is just enough?

We're asked this alot. And, I suppose, if you "always" do every technique, absolutely perfect, every time, and can gay-ron-tee that the technique you choose to use, in every instance. will work exactly the same, on every individual you use them on. I suppose you would only need a few. But unfortunately for most of us (myself included), this isn't the case. Being skilled in a wider selection offers "options" that may not present themselves otherwise.

"If your breakin' a sweat, your doin' something wrong"

(If your really Bored)

http://ryute.blogspot.com

depends. For self defense not as much- against other grapplers you'll need more.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

I think what he's getting at (sorry in advance if I'm wrong NightOwl), is that for general sd use agaist guys mainly trying to punch, you'll probibly need to be less versed in grappling than if you're dealing with guys who grapple constantly.

If that's the case. I'd agree with the statement. Against general attackers chances are that you'll need few submissions in your toolbox than you will agaist trained grapplers. Go to a school that dosen't train in grappling and see how many submission you need beyond a coulple of chokes and armbars. Now go to a mma or school that engages in any form of grappling. You probibly won't get those same movments to lock in as easily. You might have to set up more intricate ones.

Something to consider though is that there are a ton of guys out there with at least 4 years of wrestling experience from high school. These guys have good atkedowns and controlling expertinse once on top. They could not be discounted and you are more likely to face someone with this exp. than ma training or an mma background. If nothing else, it's something to consider and be prepared for.

Make sure you work on sprawling and pulling to guard once a wrestler initates a takedown. This is something they are not used to and should buy you some time to work. Then begin immediate submission efforts. Again, a few from here will probibly do agasit someone who h asn't made the transition to mma or JJ of some kind.