• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How many strikes is lethal?

I think that it is safe to say that there isn't really a satisfying answer to this question. It could take only one blow to take a person out...then it could take five blows to take the next one down...then it could take three for the next......seven for the last. It simply depends upon where the attacker is hit and how hard (sometimes at what angle, also). As someone said...there are a lot of variables to be considered.

Using no Way, AS Way...

Using no Limitation, AS Limitation

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are attacked by a group of people, you do what you can to survive, hopefully that means running away, as it's your best chance, and that's that.

In another thread, FitOrDie, "effective" and "efficient" were brought up as terms to consider. A technique or chain of techniques may be effective, but are they efficient?

From the postings referring to these terms, and your reference, above, if straightforward, nothing fancy, nothing from a movie, techniques are used, and these are done quickly so that they are efficient, and effective enough (e.g., a palmheel to the lead adversary's nose) to enable you the precious seconds you need to get out of there, you're right on the money.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

• 2 weeks later...

If you are attacked by a group of people, you do what you can to survive, hopefully that means running away, as it's your best chance, and that's that.

In another thread, FitOrDie, "effective" and "efficient" were brought up as terms to consider. A technique or chain of techniques may be effective, but are they efficient?

From the postings referring to these terms, and your reference, above, if straightforward, nothing fancy, nothing from a movie, techniques are used, and these are done quickly so that they are efficient, and effective enough (e.g., a palmheel to the lead adversary's nose) to enable you the precious seconds you need to get out of there, you're right on the money.

If you think about it, if something is not very efficient, it won't be very effective either.

Increase work capacity over broad time and modal domains. Intensity is key.

Victory is reserved for those willing to pay its price.

-Sun Tzu

I do see the difference that joe is talking about.

A big flying side kick might be very effective when it connects (high energy transfer to the head and all). But in terms of actually landing it in a dynamic fight and considering the number of reps it would take to make it workable for most body types, it wouldn't be very efficient.

I think it's a minor point, but there is a difference.

I do see the difference that joe is talking about.

A big flying side kick might be very effective when it connects (high energy transfer to the head and all). But in terms of actually landing it in a dynamic fight and considering the number of reps it would take to make it workable for most body types, it wouldn't be very efficient.

I think it's a minor point, but there is a difference.

I really think it is more of a major point than a minor point. The two can vary quite a lot, especially when you look at the example of the flying side kick. However, the circumstances involved in each case can change the effectiveness of a technique, especially if it may be the only one at your disposal at the time.

Potentially, one. Potentially, you could be working them over for half an hour and they come out of the hospital the next day. As noted, people don't have "hit points".

As usual, these hypotheticals tend to be rather bizzarre and contrived onc you unpack them a bit. 'What if you were attacked by three-armed blue space aliens while walking in the Arctic tundra and you only had a rubber chicken to defend yourself with?' Is that a situation that I can ever forsee happening? Really?

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

What? You've never been attacked by aliens on the tundra while wielding only a rubber chicken?

You haven't lived. :lol:

How many and how fast are fairly ambiguous questions, in my opinion. You need to concentrate instead on the target, and how hard the contact is made. One can punch fast but not hard, or hard but not fast. I don't think it is something you can put a tag on. In order to really take someone out like that, I think the onslaught would have to continue after the opponent is unconscious. At that point, you are the attacker, and most likely going to go to jail.

You took the words out of my mouth.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• 1 month later...

This thread asks the question...How many strikes is lethal? One! Which one, is another question. Which one, is dependent on massive situations as well as countless parameters, some can be controlled, while others are beyond our ability to control.

I'd dare to answer the question...How many strikes is lethal?...with a question of my own...How many strikes make one's action(s) legal/illlegal? This is depends on the laws of the state/federal as well as a plethoria of parameters. Am I missing the point? I don't think so...I'm just asking a counter-question of my own.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I'd dare to answer the question...How many strikes is lethal?...with a question of my own...

And how many strikes are beyond (a tough call), way beyond (it's self-evident overkill), what is necessary? How many strikes to a particular area (two strikes to the midsection do not equal two strikes to the throat) are acceptable?

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu