• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Blocking with Bones

As said already, I don't try to block with full-on force, unless I have absolutely no other choice. I have various methods of blocking, each varying on the cirumstances. If it's a kick, depending on the circumstances, I'll block with my legs or what I prefer, grab their legs and bring them straight to the ground. For my legs, I'm less concerned about having them bashed up than I am for my forearms. Alternatively, if possible, I try to grab their punch and apply a self-defence move then possibly taking them down.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i really like utilizing nerve strikes when i block, like if i blocked a punch to the face coutering with a toe kick to the inside of the arm. or just using block to hit the nerve

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

Hitting a nerve point while blocking would be gravy, but for the most part, I worry about the block first. Hitting those really little points can be difficult at times, especially when the limb is mobile. Not that I don't think it can't be done; its just the primary goal when I block.

I agree, it would be sweet to hit a nerve cluster. But I'd worry way more about intercepting the attack first and foremost. After that, eveythings just a bonus.

If we're still talking about blocks utilizing bones, I have some input.....we utilize what we call "stop-hit" blocks which actually aren't designed to block the attacking arm so much as it is to hurt the attacking arm. In Bushido-Ruach we don't attack, we wait for the attacker to throw something at us, and usually whatever is thrown out comes back disconcerted and hurt, sometimes even broken.

We use an Aikido like guiding hand to re-direct the oncoming fist, while simultaneously with our other hand, straight lead knuckle punch the forearm, 50/50 shot at nerves. Depending upon what technique we happen to be working on, we either hit hard enough to push the attacking arm away from us and into the path of the attacker's body, or we grasp the wrist a split-second before the impact of the knuckle punch to deliver more strikes with the elbow or other hand strike.

We also use the back-knuckle for striking / blocking the attacking forearm, and the "chop" using the large wrist bone to penetrate the muscle and into the bone of the attacking arm. We have no arm blocks traditionally found in most Japanese styles, our goal is to defend without causing ourselves damage while causing the attacker the most optimum damage possible.

We also use elbow jams to jam and break the fingers of the on-coming fist or elbow blocks where we hit the on-coming fist or wrist with the elbow in a sideways motion, it can break the wrist at the most, but all of these stop-hit blocking techniques are designed to cause extreme pain, whether the target is broken or not.

I hope thats some good scoop for you.

P.S. I almost forgot, since these aren't force-opposing-force blocking techniques, and they are bone of soft tissue or through soft tissue to the bone, I have found that most females have better results with these techniques in actual combat situations....they don't have to hit as hard as a man can (not saying that they can't) in order to cause extreme pain because they are hitting with their knuckles or elbows.

Using no Way, AS Way...

Using no Limitation, AS Limitation

In Bushido-Ruach we don't attack, we wait for the attacker to throw something at us, and usually whatever is thrown out comes back disconcerted and hurt, sometimes even broken.

So, in your style, are you stating that you never use a pre-emptive strike? Do you always teach to await the attack first, and then counter?

Since you mentioned it twice now, I am thinking about it, and.....no, not really. We react more akin to Aikido where you really don't do anything unless someone throws a punch at you. Then we guide the attacking force or re-direct it, usually ending up in a take-down technique.

I'm curious.....and always open to improvement.......what is your take on this subject, or should we start a different thread? I'd like to hear why you're asking. :D

Using no Way, AS Way...

Using no Limitation, AS Limitation

Personally, I feel that teaching students to always wait for the technique to be thrown is setting them up for defeat. Action is faster than reaction, and if you intend to wait for every attack before acting, then you put yourself behind the 8-ball from the start. Its easy to say "I'll block whatever they throw at me before I attack," but in reality, I feel that this is very difficult, and unsafe. I feel that teaching ways of identifying the characteristics of an impending attack and teaching the discretion of the pre-emptive strike is far more practical than telling students to never throw the first strike.

However, this is just my opinion.