• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Blocking with Bones

i practice matsumura seito shorin ryu and the one system itself has both kind of blocks, both of which we use to do damage. the single bone blocks are our shorinji blocks, shorinji stresses alot of power and these blocks cause alot of more external damage mostly to the bone and muscle. then we have matsumura blocks are double bone blocks most of the damage you would cause through using these blocks would be nerve strikes. insides of the arms and legs are prime targets in these blocks. i regularly use both as needed.

the reason we have both is to cater to the martial artist at a young age and at an oldage as well. the shorinji more suited towards a younger person who has the strength and power to inflict this kind of damage and still be able to use their arms. the matsumura aim towards the older people who would rather just inhibit their opponents from being able to use their limbs.

each style also has its own punches. matsumura use a horizontal fist always angled down to use gravity, hence why it is used by the elderly that cant genarate the same kind of power. the shorinji are vertical fist with a seisan dachi(90 degree stance) so you learn alot of hip movement through this.

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

each style also has its own punches. matsumura use a horizontal fist always angled down to use gravity, hence why it is used by the elderly that cant genarate the same kind of power. the shorinji are vertical fist with a seisan dachi(90 degree stance) so you learn alot of hip movement through this.

Does each of the punches actually utilize different ways of using the hips? When I do either, I try to use the same hip motion in both. Otherwise, I would just end up punching with my arms.

they are each different, matsumura ultilize a straight stance, while shorinji use a ninety degree stance and when the punch is released it becomes a straight stance thus putting a hip twist into it

As stated, all of the above listed blocks have their place. It would depend on the circumstances.

Ideally, one would not want to take the full brunt of the attack. You would want to redirect and slip past the attack while simultaneously countering with a return technique. In my studies, I have found the word Uke to mean "to receive" not necessarily to "stop". Receiving and redirecting the attack so you are in a position for a counter-attack is the bases for old school Tuidi (IMO). Parrying, striking/locking, throwing, breaking the offending limb, etc.

The philosophy I teach in my class is as follows:

Evade

Counter

Strike

Immobilize

Incapacitate

When one can do all in a counter-attack sequence and do it well, the fight ends quickly.

Osu.

i practice matsumura seito shorin ryu and the one system itself has both kind of blocks, both of which we use to do damage. the single bone blocks are our shorinji blocks, shorinji stresses alot of power and these blocks cause alot of more external damage mostly to the bone and muscle. then we have matsumura blocks are double bone blocks most of the damage you would cause through using these blocks would be nerve strikes. insides of the arms and legs are prime targets in these blocks. i regularly use both as needed.

the reason we have both is to cater to the martial artist at a young age and at an oldage as well. the shorinji more suited towards a younger person who has the strength and power to inflict this kind of damage and still be able to use their arms. the matsumura aim towards the older people who would rather just inhibit their opponents from being able to use their limbs.

Very cool. I have seen this in action. It's amazing the various ways of maximizing the power of punching. Maximizing power isn't just done with the movement of the hip, but the body as a whole (based on your statement above, I have to assume you already know this). Driving the body forward and tensing at the last possible instant maximizes damage.

Thanks for the "reminder" on the two ways of punching above. I am still young enough to deliver strikes in the first method so I don't really practice the down angle. It is something to practice for use in my later years.

Osu.

really the best thing about the two different punches is that the matsumura punches are best suited to the body strikes, and shornji to the face. since the wrist is horizontal in matsumura it lessens the chance for some turning into a punch and snapping your wrist(happened to my sensei when he first started because he used a shorinji style punch for body blows.) and since the hand is vertical during a shorinji punch it fits real well into eye sockets and such.

also i would like to comment on the comment left by NievesOSK, the idea of a bone block is not really to slipp past the attack but to nuetralize it with the force in the block, your chamber to the block is what should really hit first though. if you chamber correctly you should punch the hand or leg coming in woth the chambering hand and then smash it with the blocking arm. there is no real redirecting in our shorinji techniques. its straight force against force

When I stated slip past, I meant as part of a parry, not as meeting force on force. It is easier, at least from my experience, to redirect as part of a parry instead of trying to do a full block. Parrying allows me to redirect the attacking arm where I want it to go then initiate the lock. As with all things martial arts related, it is better to see than explain.

Osu.

really the best thing about the two different punches is that the matsumura punches are best suited to the body strikes, and shornji to the face. since the wrist is horizontal in matsumura it lessens the chance for some turning into a punch and snapping your wrist(happened to my sensei when he first started because he used a shorinji style punch for body blows.) and since the hand is vertical during a shorinji punch it fits real well into eye sockets and such.

also i would like to comment on the comment left by NievesOSK, the idea of a bone block is not really to slipp past the attack but to nuetralize it with the force in the block, your chamber to the block is what should really hit first though. if you chamber correctly you should punch the hand or leg coming in woth the chambering hand and then smash it with the blocking arm. there is no real redirecting in our shorinji techniques. its straight force against force

When I stated slip past, I meant as part of a parry, not as meeting force on force. It is easier, at least from my experience, to redirect as part of a parry instead of trying to do a full block. Parrying allows me to redirect the attacking arm where I want it to go then initiate the lock. As with all things martial arts related, it is better to see than explain.

I agree with your assessment here. Working with parries is great for leading into joint locking. We work with this in our Combat Hapkido quite a bit. It is good to be able to use both kinds of blocks.

i see your point, there really is a time and place for everything i guess it depends on the situation your in