• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What class to pick

Goju Ryu or BJJ and Muay Thai  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Goju Ryu or BJJ and Muay Thai

• Goju Ryu
    • BJJ and Muay Thai

Yeh if you are interested in mma, you should have some Muay Thai under your belt, but that doesn't mean that it's the best choice for you right now. You seem like you'd prefer the one with more training time, to me.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I am not interested in MMA its just the principles that should go into a good overall martial artist. I think what jiu jitsu has proven is that no matter how good you are on your feet a complete fighter knows at least the basics on the ground. At this moment I am leaning towards the goju ryu, I think I might try that out for a while and once I have the hang of that I want to find a way to incorperate basic ground fighting. I dont know yet I am not a hundred percent sure.

Fragmentary training is like climbing a greased pole- you may make headway and ascend a few feet, but ultimately you will slide without ceremony back to earth. Sensei O'Hara

Gym and training methods outweigh style. Visit and try out both places :karate:

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

any specific reason you prefer bjj? is it cause you practice it? I see you also have taken more traditional martial arts did you take those first then got into bjj? do you cross train with bjj to become more solid? also i see your from NE Ohio I am originally from Cleveland where about do you stay?

I'm from around the Youngstown area.

I started at 6 years old with TKD. Only got up to green belt there before we moved and i began studying Poekoelan Chuan Fa. After earning a third degree black sash I began studying Aiki jiujitsu and Shotokan earning second and third degree black belts in those arts respectively.

I've always gravitated toward grappling. So when the opportunity appeared to learn BJJ...I jumped at the idea. I started 4 years ago and never looked back. It also helps that my instructor has a similar background as I do. I find the training more fun and challenging than other arts I've studied. But I study Gracie system BJJ. I think that's a key thing...because the focus is not on sport.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

If you are going for pure self defense, then do Goju Ryu... most "self defense" situations should be a one or two hit thing... if that is what your looking for?? unless you like to bring a fights to the ground????? In my personal opinion, fights should never end up on the ground... and I understand some one may tackle you or try to sweep you and you cant get around it... but you shouldnt try to bring them to the ground?? unless your going to throw them of course, in which you are still standing while they are down..

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

I agree Throwdown, idealy on the street I wouln't want to hit the ground either. However, it happens alot. Even more now with the proliferation of MMA on television. It's an aspect of the game that can't be ignored.

In my opinion, the Gracie family revolutionized the ma's when they brought ground fighting to the public arena in exactly the same way Bruce Lee did when he develped JKD. I don't think a serious student of fighting can overlook ground fighting anymore than they can afford to ignore the principles Lee put forth. (Disclaimer- no I don't think everyone should study JKD, but the principles that are at it's core deserve attention by anyone who studies)

Yes, there may indeed be times when purposly taking someone to the ground is better than other alternatives. Getting your clocked cleaned up top is one that presents an easy answer. Have to play to your strengths.

Don't foreget, he's talking about encorportating MT training as well. That would really serve to round out his game quickly. And yes, CT, a couple of nights per week of MT and your standing game will make good progress. It will be striking progress however, if you're interested in stading joint locking it won't be the best format.

I think NIght Owl made a good point, see which is a better fit, which feels better to you and go for it.

You have been given some great responses from everyone here, but the truth is, you have to find your own answer. I love my traditional training. I love the discipline of it and the journey of constantly learning. You have only watched a little of Goju- you may find that the instructor also teaches ground techniques. I learn some ground techniques from my traditional instructor, but our goal is to not let the fight go to the ground. Unfortunately, many fights do go to the ground, so you have to learn what to do.

I also would love the opportunity to train in BJJ. It is an awesome Art. No schools in my area though. Try them out on a trial bases. Most schools offer them. Then decide. Good luck.

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

I'd follow NightOwl's advise as well. Check both out, and see if they will give you a few more trial classes. Then go with what you enjoy more.

Many people find that they start their MA journey in one place, and then gravitate towards others as they grow. You may find the same. Keep an open mind, even after you make a decision of where to train for now. Good luck and enjoy!

Thanks everyone for the advice it has helped me think things thru. I still have not come to a hundred percent conclusion and I have to decide by tomarrow when the classes begin. I think I am leaning towards goju because I want karate to be my base for the martial arts, it comes down to the fact that I do want both knowledge of both standing and ground but I mostly just enough knowledge to survive the ground. I think I am going to try to find a way to do bjj occasionally. The thing that is so great about the bjj is the way they spar. It is not sparing in the conventional sense they call it rolling but you have to understand that you get to go all out on your opponent because your not hitting so your MA effectiveness is tested every class. In goju the effectiveness is tested also and I am very interested to see if I will have any success in it. I think the fact that the goju class is just a few blocks away and the bjj is on the complete opposite side of town is also playing a factor. No matter what I have developed a new respect for both these arts and am eager to learn something in both of them for awhile.

Fragmentary training is like climbing a greased pole- you may make headway and ascend a few feet, but ultimately you will slide without ceremony back to earth. Sensei O'Hara