• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What class to pick

Goju Ryu or BJJ and Muay Thai  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Goju Ryu or BJJ and Muay Thai

• Goju Ryu
    • BJJ and Muay Thai

This is my first post and Im new to karate but I would like to know some one on heres opinion. I am currently taking tae kwon do but there is mostly kids in the class and its hard to get real serious sometimes. I have been looking at other schools around my area and have been to two different classes. One class is Okinawan Goju Ryu Class. The teacher is very traditional and the work outs are very tough. I love the style and and have read quite a bit on it. The other class is Brazilian Jui Jitsu. I got to join in today and learned some techniques. The upside in this class would be compeating against people more my age and the fact that there are Muay Thai classes combined two days a week. The problem is I would much rather learn techniques standing up 5 days a week like goju but would also like to learn what to do on the ground. They are around the same price range so thats not a factor. I would just like to know peoples opinions on these Martial Arts and what to do. Thanks

Fragmentary training is like climbing a greased pole- you may make headway and ascend a few feet, but ultimately you will slide without ceremony back to earth. Sensei O'Hara

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

if I had the money. That to me would be the best of both worlds if I could do the goju and the jui jitsu then I wouldnt do the muay thai. plus the muay thai is only twice a week, and the jui jitsu is like 5 days a week. The goju ryu is 5 days a week almost 2 hours a day. I am interested in training a lot so both the jui jitsu and goju give me that.

Fragmentary training is like climbing a greased pole- you may make headway and ascend a few feet, but ultimately you will slide without ceremony back to earth. Sensei O'Hara

I perfer BJJ. But my opinion is also a little biased.

I've heard good things about Goju also.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

any specific reason you prefer bjj? is it cause you practice it? I see you also have taken more traditional martial arts did you take those first then got into bjj? do you cross train with bjj to become more solid? also i see your from NE Ohio I am originally from Cleveland where about do you stay?

This is my first post and Im new to karate but I would like to know some one on heres opinion. I am currently taking tae kwon do but there is mostly kids in the class and its hard to get real serious sometimes. I have been looking at other schools around my area and have been to two different classes. One class is Okinawan Goju Ryu Class. The teacher is very traditional and the work outs are very tough. I love the style and and have read quite a bit on it. The other class is Brazilian Jui Jitsu. I got to join in today and learned some techniques. The upside in this class would be compeating against people more my age and the fact that there are Muay Thai classes combined two days a week. The problem is I would much rather learn techniques standing up 5 days a week like goju but would also like to learn what to do on the ground. They are around the same price range so thats not a factor. I would just like to know peoples opinions on these Martial Arts and what to do. Thanks

One is a sport, and the other is a way. Depends on what your goals are really.

I know which one I would do, but each to their own.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

I personally would vote for BJJ and MT. They are definalty contact oriented and allow for a dramitic increases in self defense capacity very quickly.

Not baggin on Goju at all. But it really depends on what you want.

Despite being defined as sports by many here on the boards, the combination of BJJ and MT will allow you to function very well on your feet as well as the ground, automatically increasing you total fight package. Do they not allow certain movments that are useful, of course. No one is focusing on eye gouging in either practice. Still, you will spend more time at actual fight speed in both of these arts and the emphsis in conditioning will be heavier (usually). THis will translate to greater survivability and durability on the street.

The ceratainly lack the more cultural and formal aspects of TMA. If you are wanting to study partially for those reasons GOju may be fore you. Yes, I have been exposed to Goju. One of my insutructors was ranked in it as well but I never persued it exclusively.

I personally would vote for BJJ and MT. They are definalty contact oriented and allow for a dramitic increases in self defense capacity very quickly.

Not baggin on Goju at all. But it really depends on what you want.

Despite being defined as sports by many here on the boards, the combination of BJJ and MT will allow you to function very well on your feet as well as the ground, automatically increasing you total fight package. Do they not allow certain movments that are useful, of course. No one is focusing on eye gouging in either practice. Still, you will spend more time at actual fight speed in both of these arts and the emphsis in conditioning will be heavier (usually). THis will translate to greater survivability and durability on the street.

The ceratainly lack the more cultural and formal aspects of TMA. If you are wanting to study partially for those reasons GOju may be fore you. Yes, I have been exposed to Goju. One of my insutructors was ranked in it as well but I never persued it exclusively.

Well said tallgeese.

Just because something has primarily evolved into sport does not mean for a second that it is not a good MA or for that matter good self defence system.

Perhaps though, systems like Goju have more depth to them. The "Omote" and "Ura" as it were.

Whatever you decide, just try to be the best you can.

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

thanks for the response. Yes the cultural aspects and tradition found in MA is a factor. Yet I am heavily in it for the self defence. I know goju is solid in both of these and with practicing it 5 days for almost 2 hours a day I will be good. The jui jitsu and Muay Thai will be strictly for self defence but with Muay Thai only two days a week how good would my stand up really be? The question is do I want to be good on the ground and know a little standing up or do I want to get into goju and get into that for being on my feet and the tradition and the way it is practiced. That is a tough question for me answer.

thanks for the response. Yes the cultural aspects and tradition found in MA is a factor. Yet I am heavily in it for the self defence. I know goju is solid in both of these and with practicing it 5 days for almost 2 hours a day I will be good. The jui jitsu and Muay Thai will be strictly for self defence but with Muay Thai only two days a week how good would my stand up really be? The question is do I want to be good on the ground and know a little standing up or do I want to get into goju and get into that for being on my feet and the tradition and the way it is practiced. That is a tough question for me answer.

Is it though,

I think you have already formed your answer. You are obviously a young man with a lot to prove, so go do it, and have fun in the process.

TBH you can learn self defence by going on a course, and if you want to train as a cage fighter, there are loads of clubs out there. Fill your boots.

Sublime arts like Goju-ryu take a lifetime to learn, so, in this age of instant want consumerism, it takes a very special type of person to apply them self to it.