• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What's in your Martial Arts inventory?

I should add the tons of books that I have, plus 2 3-ring binders; one with a bunch of MA stuff in it, ranging from class planners to all of the articles and essays that I have written, along with some others done by friends and colleagues, and another that has curriculum for ATA and TTA TKD, and my Combat Hapkido requirements, plus the stuff I am putting together for my Hapkido classes. And, the Aikido curriculum book.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two small targets

A few musical instruments - alas, waiting on my teacher to finish making me a new set of bows to play, mine shattered awhile back and I've been in withdrawal ever since, but also travelling and such too much to procure new ones, and I don't know enough about how to make them yet to experiment with local wood (will try to correct that next time I'm in the same city as my teacher)

A CD player - important!

A folding chair - probably the most important piece of training gear I own

Padded pole - albeit a bit more makeshift than i'd care for

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Oh, wow, you guys got a lot of stuff.

I've only got my belt and a Dogi in my sports bag.

Do I really need those other things, too?

This thread is focused on complete inventory; not just that confined to a gym bag. :) So if you have more at home, feel free to add it in.

I have some ideas in mind, but I am curious as to what you use the folding chair for?

I have some ideas in mind, but I am curious as to what you use the folding chair for?

The primary thing that I use it for is as an easily portable intention focus. Without a designated target or partner to keep in range and center one's eyes on, it is easy to let one's focus wander into practising techniques aimed in a relatively random and unfocused manner. A chair is an excellent stand-in for a training partner in this regard. If you aren't looking at the top of the chair, you're doing something wrong!

Furthermore, it is just the right height that you can practice throwing kicks just over the top - the top of a folding chair on a standing person often approximates floating rib level and the level of the upper abdomen; the seat is around knee height.

The legs of the chair are shaped in a handy way to plant foot sweeps on; you can train not just the basic sweep positions, but also deeper hooking and entering techniques by hooking legs other than the closest one presented.

The chair is also a useful aid in stretching, or for things like pushups with raised feet.

One can tumble over or off of one to train breakfalling techniques.

Lastly, while not the most inspiring tool for this purpose, it can be used as a light unbalanced weight to practice lifting and manipulating far from one's center in the more exotic body positions when trying to develop familiarity.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

some newer additions since the threads started:

second heavy bag that serves as a ground n pound bag

rib guard for working combos w mitts

new pair of mitt gloves

second, slightly better, kicking shield

the elbow/knee pad that got brought up in the equipment section

a couple of new sets of shin gear, on well worth the money, the other a loner pair now

new training gun

The primary thing that I use it for is as an easily portable intention focus. Without a designated target or partner to keep in range and center one's eyes on, it is easy to let one's focus wander into practising techniques aimed in a relatively random and unfocused manner. A chair is an excellent stand-in for a training partner in this regard. If you aren't looking at the top of the chair, you're doing something wrong!

Furthermore, it is just the right height that you can practice throwing kicks just over the top - the top of a folding chair on a standing person often approximates floating rib level and the level of the upper abdomen; the seat is around knee height.

The legs of the chair are shaped in a handy way to plant foot sweeps on; you can train not just the basic sweep positions, but also deeper hooking and entering techniques by hooking legs other than the closest one presented.

The chair is also a useful aid in stretching, or for things like pushups with raised feet.

One can tumble over or off of one to train breakfalling techniques.

Lastly, while not the most inspiring tool for this purpose, it can be used as a light unbalanced weight to practice lifting and manipulating far from one's center in the more exotic body positions when trying to develop familiarity.

Very cool ideas. Thank you for sharing them. I will begin looking at my folding chairs differently now. :)

I also have to add my new Aikido uniform, which is a double weave Judo gi.