• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I walked out on my sons competition Saturday

marmaduke

I could not believe it! My sons Dojo had a tournament Saturday. My son (Black Belt) was matched up with a Purple belt. He won the coin toss, let the girl go first. She did this long Tia Chi Kata that took several minutes. then my son comes up and does this tiny Yellow belt Kata that must have taken 45 seconds! One of the judges couldn't believe it either. He sat there watching a fly on the wall. didn't know what to say.

I left and sat in the car for the rest of the tournament. When It finally ended, I asked him why he threw the match. All I got was a lot of yelling that he didn't. Other than the fact that he likes this girl, I can't believe he would throw a match for that.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could not believe it! My sons Dojo had a tournament Saturday. My son (Black Belt) was matched up with a Purple belt. He won the coin toss, let the girl go first. She did this long Tia Chi Kata that took several minutes. then my son comes up and does this tiny Yellow belt Kata that must have taken 45 seconds! One of the judges couldn't believe it either. He sat there watching a fly on the wall. didn't know what to say.

I left and sat in the car for the rest of the tournament. When It finally ended, I asked him why he threw the match. All I got was a lot of yelling that he didn't. Other than the fact that he likes this girl, I can't believe he would throw a match for that.

Well, maybe he was trying too be to clever for his own good.

I have seen it before in competitions where competitors deliberately choose a Kata well beneath their grade level in an attempt to suggest to their opponent; "you see, my Karate and understanding of Kata is that good, I can beat anything you do with the most junior Kata possible!"

Only trouble is, you have to be super good to pull that sort of stunt off.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

Crazy...yes, I would agree with bushido man. However, I wouldn't discount the possibly you mentioned of liking the girl, especially if he's a tween or teen. Stranger things have happened.

Why would the tourny match a purple belt against a black belt? That's stupid in many ways.

This could've been avoided if proper assignments per rank would've been followed.

Love can make people do crazy things.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Well as crazy as it is, and upset as you probably are...i must say that your son has a lot of guts to do that at a tournament in front of a crowd, and a lot of humility to be a black belt doing a yellow belt form for competition. It will be an interesting story to tell when he's an adult black belt someday. But with my students they must do their highest or second highest form, i will not let them to do any lower. i leave room for one form lower because they may not feel as comfortable with their highest, especially if its a new form. But, i don't know, just let him take his course. to throw out pride for a girl...that's rare...haha no offense guys :D

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

So, I guess I'm the odd man out failing to see why doing a lower kata is an issue? I've learned Seisan as a white belt and have been using it and winning with it ever since.

I do agree that he never should have been against the girl due to rank difference.

Also, what is the issue with the length of the kata?

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

Why would the tourny match a purple belt against a black belt? That's stupid in many ways.

This could've been avoided if proper assignments per rank would've been followed.

Love can make people do crazy things.

:)

My son is 17, the girl is 19. They were the only two that signed up for Kata. Even though they were together, according to the judge, they were supposed to be judged according to their rank. How well they do their Kata according to their rank.

Lets see. The girl did her Kata and it was approx. 3 minutes long. very complicated, very involved. My son did his for about 45 seconds. Didn't even move from his spot. Lets just say it was very boring. Basai Dia or Giam would have been more appropriate for him. Plus he knows one that is approx 5 minute long that I can't begin to pronounce. (I always call it Chunking KungFu) This one would have put her to shame. Does he do it? N-o-o-o.

Besides, Judges like long complicated Kata's from Black belts.

Lets see. The girl did her Kata and it was approx. 3 minutes long. very complicated, very involved. My son did his for about 45 seconds. Didn't even move from his spot. Lets just say it was very boring. Basai Dia or Giam would have been more appropriate for him. Plus he knows one that is approx 5 minute long that I can't begin to pronounce. (I always call it Chunking KungFu) This one would have put her to shame. Does he do it? N-o-o-o.

Besides, Judges like long complicated Kata's from Black belts.

p.s. He did TekkiShodan. As far as I'm concerned, that was beneath him.