• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kempo Instructor promoted to 10th Dan!

Well, a week ago we broke away from our kind of 'governing' organization, as respectfully as possible(we did so for various reasons, that's another post!). With that being said, it is Kempo Law/Tradition that you have to have a 10th dan to govern your organization so, my Instructor(there's two a 9th and an 8th) but we decided the 9th dan is going to be promoted to 10th at a kids tournament that we're hosting at our Dojo on June 14th. We have a Hung Gar Kung Fu master who we're affiliated present and an 11th generation Soke Grandmaster Samurai present. The cool thing is, is that i have two schools, this kempo and my tang soo do one all in the same town! this is the first time both of my schools are coming together, my tsd school has about 25 kids enrolled in the tourney and all the instuctors of my TSD association will be present. This is very exciting and quite an honor for everyone present including my instructor. The thing is, he's not going to be happy to be promoted. he's a very humble man, who has the most beautiful ceremonial belt from hawaii(red trimmed in silver), but refused to wear it and wears his original BB from the 60's that is no longer black and only has 8 stripes on it because he could care less to put his 9th on it. He won't be happy and probably won't display his rank, but he will take the bullet for us so we can follow tradition, im sure.

I'm very excited, and not too sure what i should do to prepare, i have alittle less than a month and all i can think of is bring my camera and wear my dress uniform. :lol: any suggestions would be good, and i think it would be proper that i bear a gift as well...any suggestions on that would be great. I'm very happy for him, and my two schools, congrats all around! :D

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

it's tradition/law that a 10th dan governs you. it's a kempo thing, i'll get more detail on it as it goes along. but to be on your own a 10th has to govern it i suppose.

Congrats to him :karate:

and i think it would be proper that i bear a gift as well...any suggestions on that would be great

As a thankyou to one of our assistant instructors at Christmas he was given this slate thing inscribed in Korean.. can't remember what it said mind you.. But maybe something like that. Like a comemorative piece or something.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

it is Kempo Law/Tradition that you have to have a 10th dan to govern your organization

Huh? What? Possible in KEMPO. But Songahm Taekwondo/ATA is governed by a 9th degree black belt. The number 9 is significant to the Korean people. This being said, ATA has NO 10th Dan! My style IS governed by a Judan (10th Dan), but I'm a Okinawan style.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

it is Kempo Law/Tradition that you have to have a 10th dan to govern your organization

Huh? What? Possible in KEMPO. But Songahm Taekwondo/ATA is governed by a 9th degree black belt. The number 9 is significant to the Korean people. This being said, ATA has NO 10th Dan! My style IS governed by a Judan (10th Dan), but I'm a Okinawan style.

:)

Yes, it is so in Kempo. As for other styles they all have their own unique rules and traditions.

You could always go with bushido man's advice...if your on your own, any tradition you want can certainly go out the window.

Granted, you may not want to do away with the core movments of your system or anything, but something like this is largely administrative in function and probibly wouldn't affect the growth or development of the art at all.

Let's face it, rank of this kind pretty much is geard around denoting profiency in the art, familiarity with the theory behind the art, time of service to the art, and instructional skill. All of that dosen't mean much for governinig an organization. There are probibly business managment students who've never stepped on a mat that could actaully "run" an orgaiztion better than some of those who've very well earned that level of rank.

Bottom line..it's your party now, you get to make or keep the rules and policies you want, irregardless of what's been done before.