• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I want to start boxing training after many years of TMA's.

What i would like to know is how are the classes run, generally speaking (ofcourse different classes will be run differently).

Will i be working with a partner doing drills whilst the instructor looks on or will i be left on my own working out on a punch bag, etc....

Thanks.

Iron Sheik Made me Humble.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, I would guess that you will be doing some basic work to start out; jabs and crosses, and working on footwork. Eventually you would work up to focus mitt training, bag work, and sparring. You may be left by yourself from time to time, but most of you workout would be supervised, I think.

Thanks for the reply Bushido Man.

Busihdo Man i've been viewing these forums for a long time now and have to say i admire your love of the martial arts and i can't think of too many threads in which you have not put across a very thought out view.

You are my favourite member on these forums. (no joke)

You may end up doing a good bit of running and rope work your first couple of days training. A friend joined a gym to train and that's what happened to him. Running laps and doing a lot of rounds of jumping rope until they saw he was in shape and going to stick around. Rounds on the bag were tossed in after a couple of days too. Then they started working with him assessing his skills and getting him started. I'll say this that after four months of training you could see improvement. The guy already had pretty good stand up, but his jab improved greatly, and thus I had to improve my head movement(having it snap straight back after it was hit was the movement I got at first with him).

What your likely to see is warming up with rope work and sit ups/push ups then hitting the bag some. Mit work and ring time will come. A lot of it will depend on the size of the gym and number of trainers compaired to fighters. You'll likely get warmed up on your own a bit, then start hitting alternating rounds of different drills to keep everyone working.

So, as your looking to join a gym, I'd have to say do some cardio if you aren't already to get ready. Best of luck and I hope you find a good gym.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Had my first lesson yesterday and am glad to say it was fantastic. I've been practising martial arts for many years but i've never felt as tired as i did yesterday. There were plenty of rounds on the bags, they have somewhere in the region of twenty bags all different sizes and weights. I even managed to throw in a few kicks on the bags but only when the instructors weren't looking.

We started of by warming up together, then we did some drills in pairs such as defence against jab and defence against the cross. We then moved on to the bags and did two minute rounds for about 40 minutes and i also had a short one on one with one of the instrutctors just working out on the pads

That sounds great. A lot of hands on training. There was a time when I hear a rumor about a Boxing gym starting up in my town, but it never went through. Maybe someday, though.