• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial Arts VS Clothing and Environment

There are a few facts to face when it comes to self-defense and clothing. 1)You should keep in mind freedom of movement when dressing if you think you are going to have an increased chance of an encounter.[ie. your having to travel late through a rougher neighborhood]. This includes footwear for running the heck away.

Sometimes, you can't control what you wear. For example, my work uniform is less than adequate for fighting in. However, when this is the case, it is important to take the time to train and move in what you might normally be wearing. If you wear a duty belt, train with it on from time to time. Especially roll around with it on. It really changes the dynamics of what you can do when on your back. It can also add excess weight to what you normally train with. All are things to think about.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a tall person (5'3). I can kick to the head, but train to use self defense in a more practical situation for myself. I can be more powerful against my opponent striking the vital areas in my own target area. If i can strike to lower the opponents head to my target area, then I will do techniques that will take him/her down and stop the attack. Thus being said, I wear clothes that I want to wear and avoid going out everyday in my Billy Jack Jeans. :D

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

Bringing the targets down is a great idea, and there are plenty of moves that can be done to accomplish that goal. The kick to the common peroneal comes to mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent point on bringing targets to you. Way better option.

As to clothes. Yes, street clothes can be more restrictive. That's why it's imperitive that you practice movements that can be done no matter the attire. That doesn't imply you can't train to kick to the head if you want, but that you should also be proficient with low line attacks. Practice at this heighth is important, the body mechanics are different and you have the opportunity to really drop body weight into the lower leg. This requires practice at that level. Also, you have to program that particular automatic response into your personal wiring.

It is useful to practice from time to time in street clothes to get a feel for what it will be like, espically if you've never done it before or been involved in an altercation in the street.

As to enviornmental concerns, it would be really nice to choose our ground for these things but often times, we can't. The reality of uncontrolled enviornments means that occassionally you will run into things that disrupt your game plan. You'll trip in a ditch or stumble over a flower bed or end up running into a lawn orniment (my personal nemisis :) ). It happens. You have to mentally accept the possibility of things going wrong and deal with them. To worry about them during the conflict, rather than your opponent, ensures defeat.

• 4 months later...

The last pair of jeans I tried on I was able to place a nice front snap kick head level to my dad, so I said "let's get these". :lol:

It's something I've never really had to think of though. I've never been the kind of person to like restricting clothing or jeans that latch on to myself. But I did kick a couple times in the changing area. No one was watching though. :karate:

I don't shop for clothes with self defense in mind, however, I think what we learn in class, we all know that it might not be appropriate for every single real life situation. Which is why some schools probably show variations of a technique or try to incorporate sneaks of another style in class. I think once a student becomes more experienced and proficient at the style they train in, they learn to also become good at creating variations of what they learn and apply it towards real life situations. That's if you're really into the self defense part of it. New students and students that haven't been training too long, won't yet be "trained" enough to think this way. I would say - give it time, and you will discover ways that your style can adapt to real life situations. It won't always be a literal translation though.

I wear corporate clothes to work, and I'd really hate to ruin them if I were ever in a fight! But as I'm commuting to work, I often go over "what if" scenarios in my head and what would I do or how would I react. Often times, I don't even think raising my leg to do a kick. I'd probably pull something sharp out of my bag - pen, letter opener, or use my nails in a close quarters situation. It all depends. I wouldn't stress too much about your clothes being self defense oriented unless you are in a law enforcement type job or working in a dangerous area. I think if time comes and you've trained enough years, defending yourself will be second nature regardless of whatever it is you are wearing.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

I wouldn't stress too much about your clothes being self defense oriented unless you are in a law enforcement type job or working in a dangerous area.

Its funny that you mention this, because LEO uniforms are hardly indicative of physical self defense, unless you get into the tactical clothing.

I think if time comes and you've trained enough years, defending yourself will be second nature regardless of whatever it is you are wearing.

I think a lot of people assume this, and it is an assumption that could get you into trouble. Think about the shoes you have on. Are they dress shoes? If so, then they traction on them may not be that great. And the pants you wear may be more restrictive than the uniform you wear to class. What about that tie that some guys have to wear to work. That effectively gives an attacker an extra appendage to grab on to. Sometimes, its important to have a no uniform day at class, so that students can come in and do kicking, punching, and joint locking with their clothes and shoes on.