• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm working with Push Hands and I'm curious how to work with people who train in push hands improperly, by just overpowering opponents and treating it more like a Judo contest rather than push hands. I try to stay with the push hands, but it gets tempting to go to my former training since I don't like to loose. Does anyone know any tricks I could work with to work with people who approach it this way?

• 3 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

nice, i learn a bit of push hand before, it is pretty fun to play, what i believe is the most important training is "need a training partner", i am still looking for a training partner currently :( i am doing judo currently and i think my push hand technique maybe will involve some judo throws techniques :S

Jumping kicks must have a reason, to cover distance, or to take down a mounted opponent.

Jook-Am blackbelt 2nd dan pattern

GTF Taekwondo

Chinese Kick Boxing Junior Learner

https://www.sonkal.cz

You took Aikido? I would suggest using his own motion against him.

If you do it properly, that is what you are supposed to be doing in Push Hands. I'm not very good at it but trying to over power your opponent like a Judo contest will work against you if your opponent is any good at Push Hands. Takes a lot of time but eventually you learn to use their momentum against them.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

If you do it properly, that is what you are supposed to be doing in Push Hands. I'm not very good at it but trying to over power your opponent like a Judo contest will work against you if your opponent is any good at Push Hands. Takes a lot of time but eventually you learn to use their momentum against them.

Judo isn't really a contest of trying to overpower someone. In essence, it is more like push-hands, but with the whole body. You attempt to break balance by leading the opponent one way, and then taking them another way. Especially with the really high-ranked Judoka, they are very attune to the movements you make, and can react accordingly.

Judo isn't really a contest of trying to overpower someone. In essence, it is more like push-hands, but with the whole body. You attempt to break balance by leading the opponent one way, and then taking them another way. Especially with the really high-ranked Judoka, they are very attune to the movements you make, and can react accordingly.

My mistake. I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to Judo so I was just going with what the original poster said. Judo and Push Hands are very similar then as you do use your entire body for Push Hands. What I've been told for Tai Chi is that all movement comes from your core, from your hip and abdomen area. Actually arm movement is fairly limited as you need your entire body to work against your opponents attacks.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

No big thing, DWx. :)

I think the main difference between the Tai Chi movement coming from the core may have to do with the difference between an performing an individual Tai Chi form, and the two man work done in Judo randori, where you have to attempt to control yourself and another.

I see. So you're having a problem with it because he's overpowering you and you're not good enough yet to be able to counter people like that? The instructor part of me would tell you that this is good practice then. The other half of me is thinking maybe you should work with someone else who can show you the right way to do it until you get good. What do you think about that idea?

I'm working with Push Hands and I'm curious how to work with people who train in push hands improperly, by just overpowering opponents and treating it more like a Judo contest rather than push hands. I try to stay with the push hands, but it gets tempting to go to my former training since I don't like to loose. Does anyone know any tricks I could work with to work with people who approach it this way?

The best thing to do is stay relaxed and feel the sensitivity of your opponent if somebody is stiff then you know what to do I love doing this sort of technique on beginners you tell them to relax but it makes your job easier as they get more frustrated all the time and they get stiff

So just be as relaxed as possible and feel the response from your opponent then counter