• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Your First Instructor

My first instructor was Sensei King. While I have been blessed with many great instructors throughout my karate journey to date, he was the best one to start with. Sensei King was a public school teacher by day, and he had an extraordinary gift for teaching beginners. He knew exactly how to communicate the principles of basic karate techniques in just the way so that you could "get it." He taught twice a week at my university, not for money or fame, but just because he wanted to give back to his alma mater and to karate. Also, he viewed his students as "his" kids. I credit him to this day for my continuing passion for the art. I can't express in just a few words how much of a debt I owe to this man and I don't know where I'd be today without his guidance during those years.

"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world"

-Dave Barry

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My first instructor was tough guy. He drilled us hard he in my thought very traditional. After reaching what he considered and upper belt level he expected us to fight hard. I remember my last promotion test under him it seemed no matter what I hit him with he walked through it and hit me harder giving me an taste of what the old schoolwas like. From him I learned to stand my ground no matter how bad it looked or hurt.

And break falls on the wooden floors must be why when I see the concrete floors coming at my dojo I think 'this may hurt but keep you chin tucked so you head doesn't bounce'. I wouldn't trade my experince with him for anything just wish I stuck with him longer.

• 2 weeks later...

Doctor Green, he was intimidating, I remember throwing up many times in class, and I wouldn't have it any other way, he used to tell me everyday that "nothing is better than the real thing"... He shaped me into the person I am today, best instructor I have ever had the pleasure of training with..

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

My first instruction was amazing. His style of teaching worked well for me. He was a "takes no crap" kind of guy, but he knew how to have fun. He always pushed me and drove everyone to be better. Not everyone liked his style of teaching but I enjoyed it. He didn't let you slack, but especially in the advanced belts, he made class fun and exciting. I'll never forget the time when he spent all class cracking fart jokes after passing gas earlier in class. He was awesome!

External training without the training of the mind is nothing

My first instructor, who I continue to consider my instructor to this day, is a guy named Tim Jones. I started at the club he had just opened back when I was sixteen.

He would go on to not only teach me martial arts, but also be probibly the single greatest influence in my life. Not only did he teach me his style, but also encouraged me to explore other arts as well.

I've since moved away and have my own guys who train with me, I've studied under other instructors in a lot of things, I've even gotten the opportunity to be on the mat with some really top notch fighters but i still look forward to each visit when I get the chance to train with him again.

He's continued to evolve in the MA's as I have. Fortunately, we do sometimes deviate in our path, which gives us the chance to really share information when we get together. The lack of stagnation on his part is really the thing that keeps the arts fresh for me and has probibly kept my ADD tendencies in check all these years.

I just have to put in my two cents on this topic...my first post and I get to talk about my first instructor, seems to fit.

Anyway, his name is Rob Doley and I started training with him in about 1984. Back then, he taught a really neat mix of traditional Karate mixed with kickboxing...may sound odd but it was very good and very effective. To me, Rob was and still is, the quintessential instructor. He was firm but friendly. He taught discipline while having fun. The class was awesome with focus on technique and practicle applications. The was lots of sparring at varying degrees of speed and strength, depending on your level. The class was always lots of fun and a really great work out.

I've had a few instructors since then, my current instructor is great too. I'm just getting back into training again after being out for several years due to back problems and he's been fantastic for me. My son is almost nine also goes to him and I can see him start to see in Sensai Dick what I seen in Rob. It's really good to see.

Regardless of how many instructors someone has, I think the first one is always the biggest impact on you and stays with you forever. Just my thought.

• 2 weeks later...

i have only had one insyructor and i wish he was the way he used to be he has been sucked into the mma world and frankly i dont wanna go woth him. but i believe in one main style and maybe picking up a few tricks from others so i have set out to find a new shorin ryu instructor

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."