• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fighters Trying to Get Lawmakers to Allow MMA in NY

From The New York Times:

Matt Serra is a tough guy. He’s short and stocky and has been pummeling men with his bare fists — O.K., he wears an open-fingered glove — for years as a fighter with the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

But is he tough enough to strong-arm the State Legislature into lifting the state’s ban on mixed martial arts fighting?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Mr. Epstein described the fighters as “smart guys, articulate guys, college graduates, helping in their community and making a living in the U.F.C., too.”

I haven't seen one fighter like that in the time I've been watching the sport :lol:

Mr. Epstein described the fighters as “smart guys, articulate guys, college graduates, helping in their community and making a living in the U.F.C., too.”

I haven't seen one fighter like that in the time I've been watching the sport :lol:

You have to research these guys more off the mat then what you see on it. They fight in a tough sport. They have to portray that toughness. It doesn't mean that they aren't smart, or haven't graduated college. Hughes was a collegiate Wrestler; and I believe he did graduate. Wrestlers in college tend to have a higher graduation rate than other sports like football, basketball, and baseball, where guys will come out early and go professional. Most collegiate Wrestlers are there competing all four of their college years. I think Liddel has a college degree, as well.

At any rate, I think that this would be a good move for New York State. The revenue would be great for them, and the city could stage some great fights. Serra fighting in MSG would be awesome.