• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan Book Recommendation

Taylor

One of the most profound books I've read about the martial arts is an autobiography called, Moving Zen by W.C. Nicol. It is the story of an ex-pro wrestler (old school wrestling) who takes up Shotokan Karate in Japan and outlines his challenges and process. No glitz, no glam, just a good, honest autobiography about his journey to black belt and how it changed him. I wanted to recommend it here, even though I think any martial arts practitioner will connect with it, I think Shotokan practitioners will find it especially meaningful.

:)

I first read this book in the mid '80s when I was first starting in Karate. It is one of my all time favourite books. As a matter of fact I have had to buy it several times because when I lend it out, for some reason it never comes back. I've taken to giving people the title and author instead of lending them the book because it's gotten too expensive to lend it out!

Paul Miller

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I first read this book in the mid '80s when I was first starting in Karate. It is one of my all time favourite books. As a matter of fact I have had to buy it several times because when I lend it out, for some reason it never comes back. I've taken to giving people the title and author instead of lending them the book because it's gotten too expensive to lend it out!

That is why I NEVER loan out my library!!! :lol: