• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Axe Kick anyone?

northerndragon

In our style we do not use the axe kick. It does not appear in any kata, and thus it seems to be ignored in the style.

Our style doesn't have it any of the forms, either, but it is a popular kick in tournaments. Our instructor really used the heck out if it when he was competing.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In our style we do not use the axe kick. It does not appear in any kata, and thus it seems to be ignored in the style.

Our style doesn't have it any of the forms, either, but it is a popular kick in tournaments. Our instructor really used the heck out if it when he was competing.

It is sort of in TKD forms. There's move 25 in Juche, the pick-kick which is very similar.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Only against a downed opponant. It's too risky for me to have a foot off the ground that long against a mobile bad guy.

Now if you've put him down via takedown or stike already, it's pretty good for dropping in damage prior to engaging on the ground or for strking while remaining standing. When thrown this way, I don't have to get my leg off the ground all that far to get drop :) .

It is sort of in TKD forms. There's move 25 in Juche, the pick-kick which is very similar.

Ah. Our system doesn't do that form. It is unfortunate, too. I think I may start practicing that form myself.

Only against a downed opponant. It's too risky for me to have a foot off the ground that long against a mobile bad guy.

Now if you've put him down via takedown or stike already, it's pretty good for dropping in damage prior to engaging on the ground or for strking while remaining standing. When thrown this way, I don't have to get my leg off the ground all that far to get drop :) .

You are right here. It would be good against a downed opponent. However, I think that a good 'ole stomp would be more effective, and quicker, in a self-defense scenario. TKD competition rules make it a pretty good kick in that environment. It could have a place in Kickboxing as well.

Ah. Our system doesn't do that form. It is unfortunate, too. I think I may start practicing that form myself.

Oh ok, it was a more recent addition to the Chang hon forms so I didn't know whether you did or not. Its quite a good form to learn. Relies heavily on the legs so is good conditioning work for leg strength. Unfortunately you have to be able to jump too which is really not my strong point so I hate performing it. Love watching it though.

I must admit I've not really heard of him before (then again I'm not really into MMA) but Andy Hug defeated Cro Cop and he used a number of axe kicks.

Bushido man, you are right. The good old fashon stomp is also very efficetive from the situation I descibed. It reallly comes down to which weapon fits better to the target you're aiming for.

I've seen some pretty sweet knee bars and such set up off of a solid axe kick from between the legs. It was an eye opener to me who had pretty much sworn off the axe kick- proving once again that an old dog can learn new tricks, or at least re-learn them :) .

Within my style and particular within my Dojo, we teach how to defend against the Axe kick. This is a tenacious kick; if you get hit with it you'll know it.

I teach to my students that one of the best defenses against the Axe kick is to intercept the kick early and then jam it, this is my favorite tactic. Now, I also love to throw a jump spinning inside cresent kick or a jump spinning back kick as the Axe kick is still traveling upward.

The Axe kick is subjected to close in Tuite; get in tight then grab the kicker and slam them to the ground, this move is in many Kata Bunkai.

The Axe kick isn't in the syllabus nor is the kick taught in my style.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

The Axe kick is subjected to close in Tuite; get in tight then grab the kicker and slam them to the ground, this move is in many Kata Bunkai.

The Axe kick isn't in the syllabus nor is the kick taught in my style.

:)

Another way to defend it is if you see it go up, and are quick enough, just shoulder ram them with their leg at the apex. They will go down.

Just a side note: even though the kick isn't in your style, the best way to learn how to defend an attack is to know the attack yourself. :)

Wow, DWx, those were some good axe kicks. They do work well in that format.

I actually cause someone I train with a fair amount of damage by intercepting an axe kick. It wasn't intentional but I caught the lower part of her leg on my shoulder and carried on driving forward with my hand techniques. Because the kick was just past its apex and she was accelerating it down, she hyperextended her knee and had to go through several months of physio to get it right again.

Also (to bushido_man96), in Juche there's a block against an axe kick. :) You kinda catch the heel in your hands.