• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Axe Kick anyone?

northerndragon

We don't teach it or use it in Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo. It goes against our philosopy that any kick above the waist will get you neutered or your knee broken.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does the WKF consider the kick an illegal technique? I don't see it as overly dangerous.

It comes under the World Karate Federation Kumite Rules, article 8 (Prohibited Behavior), Category 2, sub section 6 "Techniques, which by their nature, cannot be controlled for the safety of the opponent and dangerous and uncontrolled attacks"..... Apparently!!

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

Why does the WKF consider the kick an illegal technique? I don't see it as overly dangerous.

Its considered dangerous because you can't really pull it. In order for it to be a point it has to be within the body, and you can't do that without anialating the person. So its considered dangerous. once you launch it, it's going.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

Actually thats why I have never thrown an axe kick in sparring, I'm afraid of hurting my opponent.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Actually thats why I have never thrown an axe kick in sparring, I'm afraid of hurting my opponent.

I've seen KOs and TKOs from axe kicks, but they are not too common. If it is full contact rules you should be ok, however the trick is being able to pull off an axe kick fast enough/ have the flexibility.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Had to sit and think bout this with my instructor. I dont think we ever used a axe kick. Even for warm ups. We use a crescent kick which almost has same principle but generally its our warm up kick.

My sensei studied two other styles before he choose the path of isshinryu. He always told us that in self defense, any kick going over the waist is dangerous and impractical.

Kumite though, as long as keep our kicks over waist high we were good.

I need to review the other kata advanced katas though, in one kata your imatating grabbing the attackers head and delivering a sweep type crescent to there head before going into a crouch position 180 degrees. And another kata we are using heal stomps imatating that we have oppenents arm and delivering the heal to there back forceing them down.

Thats bout all I can think of at the moment.

All responses here were great: glad it provided discussion of a little used, if at all, tournament kicking technique.

Dobbersky:

I see how, with the Kyokushin practitioners, that this kick has offered kumite wins. Given their reputation, voiced here, and through word of mouth, Kyokushin seems to be the one of the few lineages that uses it at the tournament level. They are tough folks, Kyokushin. Uff-Da, as the Scandinavians would say! LOL

For me personally, I see how it's effective when an opponent turns their back, but it telegraphs mightily, by the mere nature of the upward swinging arc. Its speed does make up for that.

In our style we do not use the axe kick. It does not appear in any kata, and thus it seems to be ignored in the style.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky