• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Axe Kick anyone?

northerndragon

2008-5-5

Anyone here readily make use of the Axe Kick in their lineage? I know it's a popular kick in Taekwondo, so much so it's akin to the reverse punch in Karate. I know this question is related to situational parameters: distance, timing, etc, etc. That being said, I have not seen it in use in Karate (of any style) but thought to hear likewise. At a local All Comers Tournament, they had Tang Soo Do , Karate, Taekwondo, among others, and the only practitioners during kumite to use this kick were of the Korean lineages.

food for thought.

thx. Eric

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We use it a lot in some of our forms and lately we've been using on kicks and punches. We only got through a couple of them, but my instructor said there's quite a few techniques you can do with them.

Give it your best.

Some of the students in our school use the axe kick, but we are a TKD school, so we see it more often. It can be a good kick for sparring, especially for the tall guys. For self-defense, I think it would have better use against a downed opponent. It could still be risky, though.

2008-5-5

Anyone here readily make use of the Axe Kick in their lineage? I know it's a popular kick in Taekwondo, so much so it's akin to the reverse punch in Karate. I know this question is related to situational parameters: distance, timing, etc, etc. That being said, I have not seen it in use in Karate (of any style) but thought to hear likewise. At a local All Comers Tournament, they had Tang Soo Do , Karate, Taekwondo, among others, and the only practitioners during kumite to use this kick were of the Korean lineages.

food for thought.

thx. Eric

Hi Eric,

The reason why you wont see this sort of kick in a lot of karate competitions is because it is an "illegal" technique according to "WKF" competition rules.

That said, the WKF does not rule the world (well not at least anyway), and I believe the Axe kick or "Otoshigeri" (dropping kick) is alive and well used in kyokushin comps, as it is widely practiced in most good karate schools.

I think basically, there is no one technique that a style does, that is not practiced by others.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

The BB of C,

I see your point, in that you like to 'throw it in' from time to time. & I agree because it is such a good kick, even just to use it as a FEINT, drawing your opponent backwards if launched aggressively! It can buy one time when they're up against a "runner" who rushes at his/her opponent incessantly.

The BB of C,

How or when does your Isshin-ryu Sensei permit you to use it in his/her class?? At free-sparring?

I see 'Zanshin's' point that in WKF tournament rules it is considered illegal. It can be devastating. This All Comers Tourney I went to had programs describing the kumite rules, and it was vague as to the intricasies of what punch and what kick were legal > aimed at the head. It listed the head as a potential target. This particular tournament was put on/hosted by Renbukai.

The sensei I listened to said that the Jinen-ryu students were using an axe/reverse knife hand (downward arcing) strike to the tops of opponents' heads, which he thought was illegal and was stunned to see it in kumite that day.

regards, peace.

All

Axe Kick

This is also a valid technique in many Kyokushin, Seidokan and Ashihara, Enshin Dojo's and in Competitions too

I believe the Current K1 Champ SEMMY SCHILT and GLAUBE FEITOSA who are Kyokushin based fighter have won many bouts with this technique

Osu

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)