• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

University of Virginia Wise Campus Bans MMA

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Too bad the story is not a bit more detailed. Its too bad, really. The problem probably came from a lack of experience of the competitors, and possibly from a lack of good officiating. More information would be nice.

Yeah, I thought the report was a little brief, as well. Kind of hard to get a good idea of what happened.

I'm surprised that a cage fighting tournament would be sponsored by a university booster club. Seems like there would be other, less physically damaging methods to raise money for a school's athletic program.

Ed

Well, MMA is the hot thing right now, too. It would be something that University-wide Martial Artists, including school Wrestlers, could get into for the fun of it. I think that what happened is that they didn't think it all out, and it ended up being more like a toughman contest, and got out of hand.

I suppose if what the article said happened, like the whole stretcher thing, you could understand the uni banning it. Could have not been MMA as such but ended up as a "beat the hell out of each other" style of fight.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Well, MMA is the hot thing right now, too. It would be something that University-wide Martial Artists, including school Wrestlers, could get into for the fun of it. I think that what happened is that they didn't think it all out, and it ended up being more like a toughman contest, and got out of hand.

I agree. However, having always lived in towns with a significant college or university presence I have never heard of boosters organizing a fighting contest of any sort to raise money for the university. It just strikes me (excuse the pun :P ) as an odd way of raising money.

Ed