• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

And promotion to......1st kyu!

What a fun set of events for me Saturday through Monday. Saturday I participated in a tournament (US Eastern Regional Championships hosted by Tompkins Karate Association). I was in the under brown belt division (they combined beginner and intermediate mens divisions) for kata, sparring, and weapons. Fifth place kata, 15th place sparring, 3rd place weapons. Much fun.

Monday night in class was a surpise to me. Sensei had called a friend of mine up from college (a 1st dan in Hapkido) to attend class, and also was surpised to find Mr. Jim Lilley (8th dan), Mr. Bruce Charity (7th dan) and Mr David Rees (3rd Dan) all present as well (in addition to the regulars, Dan Simons (7th dan), Mr. Will Adams (7th dan), and Mr Dick Kelly (6th dan). I was up for promotion. By the end of class, I was promoted from 4th kyu (green belt) to 1st kyu (brown belt). But, to end a long story, once again I had no idea that a promotion was coming, and also it coincidentally came right after I was in tournament.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thank you.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky