• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Getting back into the Martial Arts

I've done it before and it took me about a month to a month and a half to get back to where I was. I lost some of my flexibility and jumping height but it all came back with some training.

Pete

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's in chi just believe in yourself

blue belt Lau Gar Kung fu

"know your enemy"

[ This Message was edited by: Lau gar on 2002-06-15 10:21 ]

blue belt Lau Gar Kung fu

"know your enemy"

I have often thought about why I am still doing this and should I continue. I think it all comes down ultimately to the reason we are training. If it is for advancement in rank only there will be a time that stopping is the only thing that makes sense.

If we are training because we are addicted is a different because the advancement in rank doesn't matter.

If we train for personal satisfaction then advancement does not matter.

And with the ever increasing spectrum of students involved with more females and more older students the arts will evolve to accomadate the older students. (okay I admit I just turned 45)

Utimately it all comes down to why we train in the first place.

• 1 month later...

:D I am sooooo happy!

My daughter who is 15 (who aslso follows in her mom's footsteps) took time off after getting her black belt to pursue dance for 2 years. (actually a cheerleading/dance team which they won Best in Nation last year). With that "under her belt" so-to-speak and not making the high school squad in try outs, ... I have been trying to get her back into TKD!

Well, she finally went back this past Monday and did very well.

Techniques and forms all came back to her.

I think that was why she was hesitant.

I explained .... "Once a black belt .... always a black belt" ( .... however we did find she may need a bigger belt! ..... it was a wee bit short).

She will be going back to class tonight! YAY!!! It is a breaking/sparring class tonight so now she is nervous about that!

I do hope she plans on continuing .... maybe we will have a "KickChickee" on KF! :)

I stopped for a long time due to moving far away from the place I originally trained at and not having the money to continue. Plus I seemed to be surrounded by nothing but mcdojos, and I figured they'd just do me more harm than good. Now I have money again and private instruction fell in my lap so I just started over with whole new styles.

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

Yep, I had left for a year when I had just gotten my orange belt. I had to get some extensive knee surgery, therefore, when I returned, I was stuck going to class with kids that we're like 6-7 years younger than me. Which made it hard for me to learn what I should've been learning..But oh well..It was worth it :D

"Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make" -Bruce Leehttp://www.myvidtodvd.com/mysmilies/otn/other/leseratte.gif

http://216.40.249.192/mysmilies/contrib/xerx/smileystooges.gif

I have really never stop training for an extensive amount of time (except when I went on vactaions and hoes were never more then a month at a time) :) Good luck KickChick on getting your daughter back into, the first few classes will be the hardest :)

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN

I am returning from a big layoff and I am amazed at how fast it is coming back. I am in a new style so the mental part of putting pressure on myself is not there as if I were expected to perform at a previous level. My combinations and katas have come so quickly, that I was invited to the advanced class in short time (I didn't tell anyone of my previous experience, except my sensei, because that would also put pressure on me and be disrespectful. Some of the higher ranks have figured it out, though.)

You never really lose it, and if you do it will come back quickly if you work hard. Getting past the mental part is the hardest part. It is much easier than starting from scratch! :D

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

Had to bump this post & ad my 2cents.....I jumped back into MA this past January after being out over 23 years! I am loving it & students much younger than me <--- (42) are surprised how flexible I am. I just tell'em long arms & legs helps..I'm 6'3".. :D Plus, I have always stayed in shape & have a been a regular gym rat for years. \\Tested for my green belt on Saturday & we have the awards ceremony this Friday night-Yeehaaaw!//

*1st Dan Oct 2004*

"Progress lies not enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be."

"It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them."