• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Getting back into the Martial Arts

I was wondering if anyone else here has taken considerable time off from their training and has gone back and had to struggle through remembering their forms and getting back their flexibility (which is probably the worse!).

I know it is more common for women in the martial arts due to their getting pregnant. I stopped training at 4 months (then green belt)and returned 2 years later. Those that were at same level as me are now at 3rd dan!

I took another year off last year and returned to training earlier this year. I taught and took kickboxing solely last year.

I just didn't know how serious was to keep going. I am over 40 and although I am physically in better shape than I was in my 20's ... sparring and injuries incurred due to the nature of tae kwon do was taking a toll on me. I had to figure out whether I wanted to continue with my TKD training.

After joining this forum ... I knew I had to get back into training and shoot for that 2nd dan!

Anyone else?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, kickchick.

I took time off between schools (because of moving). But it was only a month, and I went into another style. So the forms were different anyway. Within that month, I managed to forget a few things, but it came back real fast. I had friends in my other school that were away for awhile like you, but when they got back into the "grove", everything came back to them.

You can do it. Age is just a number. You are healthy, and once you get back into it, everything will come back. It's like riding a bike, you never forget :smile: So, get your butt back there, girl :smile:

Laurie F

Oh I've been back Laurie! 16 more lessons to go ... but that to me doesn't mean I'm ready for the test. I have to "feel" that I am ready. I'm sure you know what I mean! It all came back .... I have momentary ""brain farts" though! :razz:

You know Kickchick I think that with us much of what goes on becomes more of a mental battle than a physical thing. Sure there is the physical side - and it is a big part. But the mental state has so much more to do with things every year.

I was out of any kind of training for a year with bilateral rotator cuff tears. When I started over (and I mean over - I couldn't even get dressed by myself) the biggest part of the battle was mental.

I am aware that there are some shotokan groups who are starting to do more work in the area of training after 40. I haven't seen that kind of discussion in any other style yet.

You are not the only one thinking in that area. My first tests I was worried about what happens if I fall in the middle of everything. The last tests my big worry was gosh I hope I don't go blank.

As more people continue to train longer and start training at later ages there will be more changes made.

If its any consolation the oldest student in CKD is 83, she's also a sheriff, has her daughter and grandaughter both doing Choi, and also does waterskiing as a hobby.

---------

Pil Sung

Jimmy B

Good for you, Kickchick :smile: And yes, I know what ya mean about brain farts! LOL. Don't worry. It's normal. I had one during a tourny, but I still placed. A test is the same way. Most instructors know this, and they give ya another chance.

As far as not "feeling" you are ready, you don't have to test. There is plenty of times to test. I didn't test once, because I felt I wasn't ready, and my instructor understood. I'm glad I didn't, because when I did test, I aced it. If you feel you are not ready after those 16 lessons, don't test. But if, by then, you feel you are, go for it. I wish you the best of luck :smile: You can do it :smile:

Laurie F

I had taken some time off to job hunt, move, and to settle into my new surroundings after graduating from college. When I finally got back to training, I would say the most difficult was trying to get back into some sort of physical shape. I found that stretching was more painful than what I remembered. Taking punishment in forms of throws, take-downs, punches, kicks, and blocks kinda hurt more than I remembered, and took longer to recover from.

Although I could pick up a form or a defense rather quickly, I also have/had the tendency to loose it just as quick. Thanks to the electronic age, I put things down on video for me to recall in the event I "brain fart" :grin:

All this and I'm still pushing towards my 40's :razz:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

I haven't done any striking for a while, I do purely grappling now..

My technique is still as good as it was before, there's just a big lack of flexibility which makes my kicks harder and look poor when I attempt to kick higher than what I actually can because I still expect to be able to kick at the same level.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

You know Kick Chick in my Do Jang we aren't allowed to use the word can't. I think that Sai FightsMS hit the nail on the head when he said it was more of a mental battle. Whatever is making you doubt yourself, you need to kick it to the curb. You have 16 lesson still, tell yourself you can and will. Firt choose it, then use it. :up:

Its the same at our school also Mr. Man. We have a poster displayed at front of class with the word "can't" with a red line going through it (4-letter words are not allowed in the dojo!)

It's not that I can't. I can! The brain says I can almost all of the time ... unfortunately I am not 16 years old and the body says Whoa! You want me to do that?? :eek: