• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Your first class

Ninja turtles rock, mate!! What about power rangers, though? They remade all the good shows from when I was three, slapped the words " new series" on them and sold the heck out of During my first lesson, I think I was so amazed at what I was about to learn - SAMURAI STUFF what can be more exciting than that! I dont think I heard a word of what Sensei said, I just wanted to break people. Now I am to busy enjoying the journey to worry about the distination.

Take care.

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first class was about 5 months ago, so I can remember it very well.

I'd always wanted to learn martial arts since I saw one of my dad's friends demonstrate some karate and judo to me when I was about 2 or 3, but my mum would never let me as she thought it was 'for boys' and that it was dangerous.

Anyway, beginning of this year I broached the subject and since I'm 17 she agreed that it was time to let go a little and let me give it a go.

I got the training times and phone numbers of different clubs and managed to narrow my choice down to Shotokan karate or TKD. I picked karate and got my dad to phone the sensei of the club to grill him.

The first week I went I took my friend along and we just went to watch. It was totally horrendous! Everyone just sort of gave us funny looks (or at least that's how we felt!) and we were terrified of the sensei. He just kept shouting, swearing and being pretty damn violent. I almost left in tears because I'd wanted to do martial arts for so long and after that experience I doubted I'd ever have the guts to go and actually participate in a class.

Anyway, my dad arranged with the other instructor of the club to bring me and my friend to another class that was on at a different time that he ran. The only problem was it was a kids class for the older kids, so it seemed that me and my friend were in a room full of brown and black belt 11 year olds!

The instructor was really nice and encouraging, but we did feel rather out of place and confused. He took us aside seperately and tried to teach us some basics, but that particular class was quite exhausting. He had us running up and down the hall non stop and I kept looking at my watch wondering when it would all be over! I honestly don't know why I went back to karate, because at the time of those first few experiences, I totally hated it. I think I just went back as I'd wanted to be a martial artist for so long that I was reluctant to give up on it quite yet. Or maybe I just went back because the instructor was so nice and friendly!

My first 'proper' class with the club's sensei was a few weeks after I'd been going to the kids classes. My friend and I partnered up and we done sparring for the whole night. We were clueless though and we just had to copy everyone else. We also ended up getting quite bruised as we were a wee bit clumsy with each other!

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

Pre Shotokan and pre Seido I was about 13 and thought that Judo was for me so I kitted up and made a 3 month commitment to give it a go.

Disaster - I should have known by the look in the instructors eye when he saw an 83kg (183lb - I think) 6ft 4" skinny teenager, looking like a victim and sporting a good thick gi.

Although my memory of the judo, terms, language and tradition is rather vague over this period I do have an intimate knowledge of the ceiling material, composition, colour and the roof structure of the hall that we trained in as I spent most of the time being a "flying" guinea pig. Must have looked effective though!

In complete contrast, after a 20 year break from karate I attended a Seido Karate class being taught by Shuseki Shihan Andy Barber - no swearing, no bravado, nothing to prove, no humiliation and just his sheer presence commanded respect, trust and obedience. If I was able to give advice to myself as a teenager in England I would have implored me to seek out a dojo not only with a good reputation but with senior/master teachers who possess this inner calmness and command this instant respect. Something to aspire to eh!

... and I spent more time on my feet than on my back!

Edited by Size7Gi

A kiss is worth 2 Karate chops - Snoopy

the thing i remember most about my first aikido class was the sensei. he just had a presence about him.

i wouldnt hav changed a thing about the class it was amazing.

it was such a great feeling there seem so much 2 learn. i went home just wonting more.

and it wasnt just the self defence side

there was more, it was like training for the soul as well as the body.

A reflection upon a pool of water does not reveal its deapth

• 2 weeks later...

I still remeber my first MA class.

It was in Judo. It was great 'coz the Dojo had just opened and we were a bunch of kids, knowing nothing about Judo. The Sensei teached us what was Judo, what it meant, then teached us how to fall, etc. I felt like home and I loved it. I remember thta at the end of the class the Sensei chose some of us and smoothly showed some techniques, it was really great and not intimidating at all.

But...

When I started doing Goju-Ryu, I went to a great Dojo, which was mastered by an old man, a 7th dan. I remember thinking that no old-man was going to teach me Karate, but when I saw him.... WOW! I immediatly knew I was going to love Karate :karate: He was so strong and agile... He taught me and other begginers the basics n' stuff, but never doing that "military" kind of teaching... He is still me role-model for me on how to teach MA :lol:

First classes are very important.

I have to add to this one ...... again. I just switched dojangs. My first class here was great. We did kicking drills, forms, and self defense. They knew I wasn't a beginner, so they threw me right into class. They day instructor is cool. She let me do all my forms (the ones I already knew), and we did the kicking drills together. She was really nice. The second class was with the master instructor teaching the day class. We did all self defense. Man, was that rough, but great. I was sore for a week (lotta joint lock stuff). He was laid back, funny, but strict at the same time. My kind of instructor :)

Laurie F

first class was just a few months ago. i felt great. it was the 2nd and 3rd classes where i was getting the 'i can't do this' feelings....now, about 3 months on and i'm still getting those feelings :P

I'm sure you'll pick it up sooner or later....just keep trying! :)

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

• 5 weeks later...
I can remember my first lesson very well considering it was just 2 days ago. Shaolin kung fu I went in and the instructor was finishing up a class so i watched it was pretty cool. He told one of the blackbelts to wrap it up and then we went in the other room and went over the basics. It was only a half hour so we didnt get very far and when i went home i was thinking i wanted to keep going, learn more(even though i was trying to remember the stuff i just learned). My other 2 lessons have gone well i like my instructor and the gym. The first impression lasts though luckily mine was good.

9th kyu(white belt)-shaolin chuan kung fu