• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Your first class

Think back to your first class (doesn't matter if it was yesterday or 30 years ago). What do you most remember? If you were the instructor what would you have done differently?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cried at my first class because I couldn't do Taikyoku Shodan

I was 17 years old!!!!!!!!!

Only joking, I was 6 :grin:

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner

West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy

2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)

i remember my first jujitsu class. it was cool but when they did randori i had to sit out coz i didnt know how to fall. but sensei saw i was looking bored so he took me to the side and showed me some wrist locks and stuff. i had a cool time and didnt want to leave (even with the two swolen wrists!) i had a respect for him ever since.

Yellow Belt-Small Circle Jujitsu

Red Belt-Kick Boxing SAMA organisation

"Remember, nothing hurts worse than pain."

[ This Message was edited by: XpOiSoN FrEeX on 2002-06-13 16:39 ]

I was thinking about that time (long ago) just the other day and how different it was back then than it is today. I think I had more of a difficult time of it than the students today because when I began at that time the student base was made up of more advanced students as opposed to beginners and somehow I felt the need to "catch-up" or "to be as good" as them.... and when I wasn't I got real down on myself. Also (back in the day) we were given just a dobok with no belt. We had to earn the white belt. I hated wearing that baggy dobok which made me look fat and was quite happy to finally receive my belt.

I believe the instruction was a little more difficult and more respect seem to have been shown by the students to their instructors.

I remember punishments of remaining in horse stance for several minutes or numerous push ups given for improperly addressing yourt instructor or not kihaping or talking in class while instructor was teaching.

Well, those are my reflections ... many changes over the years but the quality of instruction has always remained the same.

KarateForums Sensei

1st dan Tae Kwon Do (ITF)

Cardio/Fitness Kickboxing Instr.

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-06-13 16:48 ]

Ok, which school?

Ok, I'll start with the McDojo. I started in a Mcdojo in the mall. The first class was rough. The instructor threw me right in there with the class. They did a lot of "military" type of exercises, the medicine ball thing, ect. VERY bad. All I learned in a month was an axe kick and a front kick. Very bad. I left after a month.

I was REALLY careful about picking the next school, which was my TSD dojang. My first class in that school was cool. They gave me a intro class. And showed me all the basics that I would be doing in class. I didn't recieve my belt either till I finished the intro program, which was two private classes for 1/2 hour each, and a quiz at the end. I was sooooo nervous LOL.

The first TKD class was ok. I mean, coming from another style, the intro was nothing (same as the other one). I had to prove that I knew what I knew in the second intro class, though. That was scary, because the term was different, and I was saying "what?" most of the time (I knew a roundhouse kick, but they said turning kick, I knew outside inside block, they said inner fore arm block, ect). I felt like they thought I was lying about my previous training LOL. But once they "showed" me what they were talking about, I did the technique, and explained to them that the term was different. We both laughed LOL "Oh that's why" the instructor said LOL. It turned out to be pretty funny, actually.

Laurie F

My first class, hmm, I was one of five white belts in the school, and we made up the entirity of the school. A friend of mine was the first student in, and I was the fifth. Other than that though I really don't remember much of it, it was a while ago.

---------

Pil Sung

Jimmy B

My first class in shorin ryu I was in with some greenbelts. And things went so fast. I learned the basic blocks and drills and started kata the first night. I remember thinking I hope I remember all of this.

I had to switch schools later and went into a class with students who had no experience at all and things went a lot slower. At that point I was thinking "I need to do everything to the best of my ability".

The First class In Shotokan I recall stretching like crazy. Some nights we would stretch a lot more just to get a real good one in once a month or so. I remember after about 20 mins thinking so when do we get to do karate. We went on and worked basic moves all night but when it was over I was this a bunch of junk. Then I saw one of my friends (who got me in the class he had just made his black belt a few weeks before) spar with our sensei. I was COOL.... Then I was hooked.....

So anytime I have new students I try and do something cool at the end of class to hook them in. Because as we all know it gets pretty dull at times. LOL....

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

My first day of martial arts happened to be my birthday, and it just happened to be Shotokan. As a lot of karateka can tell you, birthday rituals in the dojo are not pleasant. The first taste of Karate I got was a Tiger Tail, in a class of nearly 40. It was not pleasant, to put it lightly :roll:

d-:-o-:-)-:-(-:-o-:-P

My first class was over 16 years ago. I was so excited yet so nervous. The dojo was very large with hardwood floors. It was a converted chuch. The beginners were seperated from the advanced students and taken downstairs. That room was smaller yet carpeted. We also had a different instructor than the advanced students. I can still remember how the place smelled and everything.

Pete

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!