• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Title of Sensei

I always encourage them to talk to him specifically about their situation. I usually check up with them the following day or two to see if they had. Then I usually go to my instructor for them. I have to admit, he intimidated me too for awhile, but then I started working for him. Found that he is a very nice man. As long as I can be there for him and his wife and the other students, I am happy.

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen high ranking Black Belts with decent ability that cannot teach for their life. I firmly believe, like he said, that teaching titles should be earned, deserved and not given out. Being a good teacher is a skill and a blessing. Whether one hones in the skills on their own or is born with them is fine either way.

I agree with you 110% and have seen this also. I recall when I first joined martial arts and felt somewhat intimidated around the high ranking masters whenever I'd attend a public event or tournament. The funny thing is at these events you can see how some of them obviously *milk* that master belt and the attitude with it, as much as they can. Some are really nice and approachable. Others have that aloof & "look-down-upon you" persona about them. :roll: I often wondered to myself how they passed their test!

As I moved up the ranks myself and saw these same people over and over again and observed their behavior, spoke to some and heard others speak of them, I made my own conclusion that indeed *some* of these people do not deserve to have the title they do. I am no longer intimidated by them, since I'm not a "beginner" - rather, I watch them with an amused look.

I feel a really good, down-to-earth and humble master will try to be a mentor to the lower rank students and not walk around with the lofty attitude and throw their weight around while having nothing to back it up with. They will be humble enough to admit when they don't know a technique or are not sure, and aren't threatened or annoyed if you question them about something. Those are the ones who truly deserve to wear the title of sensei.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

One of the organisations that I practice karate with is Mitsusuke Harada's Karate Do Shotokai (KDS). One of the things that I like about this organisation is the humbleness of all the senior 5th dan members of the technical executive.

5th dan is the highest grade in the KDS and there are 11 in total including Harada sensei. It is therefore quite an achievement.

Only Harada sensei is refered to as sensei. Everyone else is refered to by their christian name. The 5th dans line up with everyone and introduce themselves just like anybody else. In large group photos they will be dotted randomly in amongst everyone else and not all sat in the middle as is usually the case.

I find this very refreshing.

Congratulations on being promoted to Shodan! In my system "Sensei" means instructor. This title is not "earned" until you reach Sandan (3rd black). Assistant instructors are refered to by their rank or as Senpai (senior student). I am not saying that you don't deserve the respect of an instructor, and it seems that you are dedicated to your school/style; but it seems to me that even at Shodan, you may not have the full understanding of your systems techniques. Again I am not saying that you are not a good martial artist or a fine teacher, but it sounds to me that your instructor is putting too much into your basket too soon. As for me I have been teaching my system for 25+ years and have been training for almost 36, and there are still days when I look around for my "Sensei" when one of my students call me Sensei.

"Not every tiger will pounce, but every tiger may!"

K.Mabon

United States Combat Martial Arts Association International

It's been five months since I wrote the opening thread here. Alot has been learned and the eyes are starting to focus a little easier as a black belt. I'm seeing the hidden technique and bunki without people pointingit out. There are new students to share my experinces and knowledge with. I talked with my brother person to person about this. I am no longer unconfortable with my title. As someone said I look around for other senior black belt when I here sensei called out. I guess it was just part of the "weight" of being a black belt putting a strain on me.

I do thank all of you guys for sharing your experinces and thoughts with me.