• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Students' lives

I came across this the other day ... and although it reflects the thoughts of a "school teacher" (of which some members here are!) .... it does show that students are a part of your life as you are a part of theirs! There are ALOT of good points here..... ENJOY!

"I am a teacher .

I was born the first moment that a question leaped from the mouth of a child.

I have been many people in many places.

I am Socrates exciting the youth of Athens to discover new ideas through the use of questions.

I am Anne Sullivan tapping out the secrets of the universe into the outstretched hand of Helen Keller.

I am Aesop and Hans Christian Anderson revealing truth through countless stories.

I am Marva Collins fighting for every child's right to an education.

I am Mary McCloud Bethune building a great college for my people, using orange crates for desks.

And I am Bel Kauffman struggling to go Up The Down Staircase.

The names of those who have practiced my profession ring like a hall of fame for humanity....

Booker T. Washington, Buddha, Confucius, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Leo Buscaglia, Moses and Jesus.

I am also those whose names and faces have long been forgotten but whose lessons and character will always be remembered in the accomplishments of their students.

I have wept for joy at the weddings of former students, laughed with glee at the birth of their children and stood with head bowed in grief confusion by graves dug too soon for bodies far too young. Throughout the course of a day I have been called upon to be an actor, friend, nurse and doctor, coach finder of lost articles, money lender, taxi driver, psychologist, substitute parent, salesman, politician and a keeper of the faith.

Despite the maps, charts, formulas, verbs, stories and books, I have really had nothing to teach, for my students really have only themselves to learn, and I know it takes the whole world to tell you who you are. I am a paradox.

I speak loudest when I listen the most. My greatest gifts are in what I am willing to appreciatively receive from my students.

Material wealth is not one of my goals, but I am a full-time treasure seeker in my quest for new opportunities for my students to use their talents and in my constant search for those talents that sometimes lie buried in self- defeat.

I am the most fortunate of all who labor. A doctor is allowed to usher life into the world in one magic moment.

I am allowed to see that life is reborn each day with new questions, ideas and friendships.

An architect knows that if he builds with care, his structure may stand for centuries. A teacher knows that if he builds with love and truth, what he builds will last forever.

I am a warrior, daily doing battle against peer pressure, negativity, fear, conformity, prejudice, ignorance and apathy.

But I have great allies: Intelligence, Curiosity, Parental Support, Individuality, Creativity, Faith, Love and Laughter all rush to my banner with indomitable support. And who do I have to thank for this wonderful life I am so fortunate to experience, but you the public, the parents. For you have done me the greatest honor to entrust your greatest contribution to eternity, your children. And so I have a past that is rich in memories. I have a present that is challenging adventurous an fun because I am allowed to spend my days with the future.

I am a teacher...and I thank God every day"

(author unknown)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is cool kickchick.

I not only teach my students martial arts. I tell them they can ask me anything. Being a person who always looks into new things and learns new things on my own. (i research items just for the heck of it.) If I don't know the answer I will find it for them. Not only going beyond the martial arts school but making someone elses knowledge increase. I believe a true master is someone who goes beyond what is required and has a quest for knowledge. I don't care if I ever become a master because the fun is in the journey to get that status. A master is a teacher, leader, and scholar all roled into one.

• 1 year later...

As an instructor there's more than teaching techniques. I think a good instructor must a like a parent, teacher, friend and a role model. All in one. If the student has got a problem the instructor should listen and try to help, council, and so on.

I don't believe in instructors that forget about their students the moment they are out of the dojo. He sholdn't intevine unwanted but must always act like he's available for a question.

The role of Instructor in traditional martial arts is not unlike the role of parent. You are responsible for the overall welfare of your students in and out of the dojang. This, I believe, is a major difference between traditional and sport styles. The Instructor in a sport style is more of a coach, guiding the student to better technique. The Instructor's job in traditional martial arts, TKD included, is to guide the student through LIFE. Not an easy job. As an Instructor, you have a profound influence on a child, equal in many respects to the teacher and the parent.

Our Grandmaster has been like a father to us. Not just teaching technique, but philosophy, morality, and guidance through life. And especially if you have students with less than ideal home lives, as some of our Instructors do, you can actually be seen as MORE important than the biological parents.

My opinion-Welcome to it.

I agree with the fact that instructors should be concerned with the students even outside the dojo.

However I have mixed feelings about making the marks in school a part of this.

If for exampel the child has learning disabillities he might get bad marks because of that but it's really not his fault. Martial arts could be something he's good at and something that improves his selfconfidence. However if the martial arts instructor says to be ashamed of bad results etc. that will have a negative result. When it comes to results in school, often there is more to it than just doing your homework and pay attention in class.

I personally think it is not up the martial arts instructor to judge on that. There are too many other factors that play a part.

So where would you draw the line in this issue?

so vis pacem para bellum

the thing with learning disabillities is that you don't always know. sometimes when a child has bad results in school it takes a lot of time to find out why,, it can take up to years. how can a martial arts instructot judge a child on this type of issues?

It's even complicated for psychologists and that kind of people to find out.

so vis pacem para bellum

Granted, a learning disability can be a factor in a student's poor grades, but it should not be seen as an excuse. Keep in mind, martial arts are a vehicle for physical, mental, and spiritual improvement. An Instructor cannot just stand idly by while a student is getting poor grades, regardless of reason. I don't think it is fair or realistic to say " get your grades up or you don't test (compete, be in the demo etc.)", but if the Instructor knows that a student really likes practicing, he or she needs to find ways to encourage students to do better in school. Some examples we have used are academic excellence patches, certificates, high grade achievers on class web sites etc.

I also think if Instructors allow learning disabilities to be used as a crutch, it can build resentment among students who do maintain good grades.

My opinion-Welcome to it.

I was educated to the concept that there are very few actual learning disabilities, and that what is most commonly labeled as such is actually learning incompatibilities. I.e., there are different ways of learning and most instructors (and the general education system as a whole) apply the 'most common' education formats. That which works for the majority, but which is clearly unfair to the minority.

Take, for instance, left handers and how they were treated for centuries before someone finally put their foot down on the subject. I'm left-handed and i actually was forced to write with my right hand by not one, but two different teachers. That's two years of my life where i was being 'punished' for being a left-hander.

Granted, this was in the late 60's, but the left hand / right hand dilemna was only recently resolved, and yet it is far more 'obvious' than that of tactile vs auditory vs read/write, etc. Consider this and then consider whether a child who doesn't do well in school is actually at fault... or simply being handed a complex by the status-quo.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro