• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Students' lives

How "into" a person's life should an instructor get, especially children? I am 14 and when I am going for a grading, I have to get one of my teachers at school to sign to say that I'm a respectful student - I think that's great, but most kids take it as a joke and get their gym teachers to sign it :roll:. Some parents come to me or one of the younger assistant instructors to talk to a child who has been hitting a sibling at home or otherwise being a bad kid and not following our school's standards. Some of my friends from other schools think this is rediculous. I think it is a good idea and makes kids realize that a black belt isn't just a cloth - you can be an academic black belt, corporate black belt, or black belt employee, too.

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We get quite a lot of that, I've had to talk to a lot of kids about bullying, although never about one of them doing the bullying, they always seem to be the bullied. We also try and keep up with what's going on, so if a kid isn't doing so well in school, and they're capable of doing better, we'll chat with them about it.

Maybe a psychology degree should be required for martial artists.

---------

Pil Sung

Jimmy B

I had a kid like that once. His mom came to me and said he is being mean to other kids at school and using his karate on them. She said he had just been sent home for fighting for 3 days. She was like could you talk to him. I was like if you come to class I will do better.

That night his mom came to class. When I spar with my younger kids I don't throw many techinques. I punch and block to protect myself but Im lucky to throw a kick. Most of my punches are slow so they can get the hang of blocking and moving.

This kid was good for a 12 year old. He was the best fighter in that age group in class and a bit ****y because of it.

Anyhow to make long story short I spent about 30 mins sweeping, throwing, and taking him down while we were sparring. I never hit him but I was using some really loud Kia's in his ear and just missing with a lot of swing strikes. Anyhow after about 30mins he was hin tears looking at his mom. He said well that is not fair you are bigger and stronger and better than me. I said,"Thats what your teachers say about you at school." His mom shook her head in approval.

I set both him and his mom down after class and said this is your warning if I hear of you using karate for attack again your out of here. His mom said yeah and Ill call Sensei Justice over to take care of the punishment.

The kid has never been a problem again.

Im not saying might makes right. Every case has to be approached differantly (I would have never done that without his mother being presant and knowing) but I think it is our job as teachers to konow how our students are using our techinque outside the dojo.

We had to always bring our report cards to Sensei Harvey. I don't require that because I am a teacher and see most of my kids at school but yeah we need to know.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Before it is said yeah I like beating kids up. LOL.....

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

• 4 months later...

Im not saying might makes right. Every case has to be approached differantly (I would have never done that without his mother being presant and knowing) but I think it is our job as teachers to konow how our students are using our techinque outside the dojo.

You proved a real CHAMP. :)

These agressive kids are a real problem and it's best to know this and to stop them ... and preach all the time they shouldn't use their knowledge on others ... that they'll be kicked out of school ...

If you are lucky you'll succeed ... If not ...

My dojang has what they call "Program couselors". Their job is to not only keep the students in check about their progress, but talk to the parents and kids if needed. If they are under age, yes, the parents will be present.

They also have "report card" day. They get some kind of reward for doing well in school as well as at the dojang. I'm not really sure how that works (I is in the adult class hehehehe).

Plus we have student of the month. For kids, this reward is for their behavor inside the dojang as well as outside. For the adults, it's for how many dojang activities they get involved in.

Laurie F

In My Dojo the kids in school have to maintain a C+ average in school. The parents also have the option of telling the instructor if they are getting into trouble outside of the dojo. If they are they get punished for it in the dojo. (bunny hops and dog walks tend to do the trick) I think to be a good dojo and instructor you have to be concerned with the maturity of your student. You dont want to train a bully techniques that could potentially kill someone.

I have broken up fights, talked and calmed down hostile situations, and counciled some on how to keep there cool while maintaining pride. Something that comes with experience. (thats why I believe in teaching as soon as possible.) Learning respect for every situation is another concept I teach.

I think that the dojos that go that extra step should be commended for really contributing to the welfare of their students and communities. Kids that feel valued and are held accountable make for productive citizens.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

I remembered now ... the kids in our club must show Sensei their marks. I don't know what would he do if they had bad marks, because they are all studious :D

It's funny in a way, but he is quite serious. He told us his students must have good marks, otherwise he'll be ashamed :) Works for the kids