• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

prices outpacing income and what you do about it

pegasi

I know this is a topic that's hitting hard in the US right now, and probably elsewhere too. My income isn't keeping pace with the rate at which the prices of everything else keep going up. I've been having to make adjust ments to cope among these:

-not going out hardly at all, even fast food restaurants

-using my motor scooter instead of my van whenever possible to save on gas

-cost cutting in the grocery department, however I can, buying sale items, and adjusting what I make to what's available cheapest that week, buying at the "scratch and dent" stores, buying bread at the outlet stores for 1/3 the cost of the grocery stores, stuff like that.

-scrapping cans or other junk metal I'd otherwise throw away to gain a few extra dollars.

Anyone else having to adjust their lifestyle to cope with the economic issues?

what goes around, comes around

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello,

Just as a general note, this discussion is OK for now, but I did want to post a reminder to keep it out of the political realm. :) Focus on ways that you are saving money to cope with financial issues, assuming you are having them.

Thanks! :)

Patrick

Also, consider working overtime when possible. I always did do most of my grocery shopping at thrift stores and don't always have to have the brand name stuff.

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

I'm trying to find a new job, that pays better. I took the one I have now because I needed one when I moved to utah and knew I could get it. Also avoiding anything that isn't absolutly necessary (and of course letting my parents pay for my food since I live at home for the moment, though I originally planned on paying it for myself :P) I also found out that if I order my perscriptions by mail for 90 days instead of at the pharmacy for 30 days, I'll save 150 dollars a month. I also do odd jobs around the house, like cleaning out the fridge and organizing my moms scrap booking. If I could I'd do odd jobs at the dojo and pay less a month, but that isn't an option so I'll just keep my expencive habit.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

If you're on prescriptions, and you take the medicine once a day, ask your doctor if he'll give you a prescription for twice a day. Then your medicine will last for 2 months and you'll only pay half the amount for the year. I also told my doctor about my financial problems and he gave me 6 months of prescription samples for free.

One good thing, my son got his Black Belt December 16. since then, I haven't had to pay for his Karate lessons. as long as he puts in 11 hrs a month teaching time, he's free.

My wife also got a job at Wal-Mart. Now we have a 10% discount card on all our shopping there.

Might sound good, but its not. We still had to sign up for a debt consolidation agency. hopefully we can survive the next 5 years. And gasoline is killing us. We budgeted gasoline at $100 a month 2 month ago. that went out the window now with gas at $3.50/gal.

We bought a new propane BBQ grill, and are doing a lot of cooking on it outside. That way, we don't have to fire up the oven in the house. We'll see if that helps some.

We also try not to eat out as much as we did. That should help us to save some cash.

Gas price are killing my family to I just told my sensei today that I might have to cute back on karate. I have to drive 25 min. to karate and then 25 min. back Four days a week and now my son is playing baseball on top of that. but to do any thing even go to the store, where we live at you have to drive. there is no choice, we just have to pay.

Also, consider working overtime when possible. I always did do most of my grocery shopping at thrift stores and don't always have to have the brand name stuff.

Just so you know, the store brands are very underated. A lot of the time, the store brands come out of the same vats as the brand named items. Think about it, Publix doesn't have a ketchup factory. You can save a good bit off your grocieries if you purchase store brands.