• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

So in september I'm going off to Aberdeen [scotland] to university, so I'm having to change my training camp. Instead of my Kickboxing i'll finally get to pick up T. woot.

However I have always wanted to learn grappling and ground skills, and in Aberdeen there are several places I could learn.

I have the choice of either Wrestling, Judo or BJJ, but to be honest, I havnt a clue what to choose.

I've always liked slams, but also love takedowns and throws as well as submission. I'm pretty strong, so can anyone give me help on what to choose, or help me figure out what would be best for me?

thanks

Willing - Believing - Achieving

Orange Belt: Freestyle/Sport Karate - Kickboxing - Boxing

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Based on the fact that you like to throw as well as submit, Judo and BJJ are likely to be better choices. You'll have to visit the schools and see where their focus lies. In general, Judo will usually focus more on throws and a few submissions. BJJ will usually focus more on Submissions and a few takedowns.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

It's a toss up between Judo and BJJ. Both are great for throws, submissions and grappling. BJJ is more submission oriented and I think Judo is stronger on throws. Just my 0.02

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

Heres the heads up on it, but you need to take into account how good the instruction is.

BJJ has better groundwork than Judo

Wrestling has better takedowns than BJJ

Judo is kinda like the middle ground.

If there is a difference in instructors though, it would sway my opinion. Training with an Olympic Judoka would yield better results than say, training with a blue/purple belt instructor in BJJ.

Perhaps you could post some information on the instructors

I could make that decision because to be good in the grappling arts you need a blend of all three arts mentioned. Now if you find that Judo school teaches traditional Judo you'll learn throws and many of the same subs that you would in BJJ.

Wrestling would teach you position and howto handle yourself in a scramble. Also wrestling teaches you how to control you opponent's hips which comes in very usefull. The take downs from wrestling come in very handy as well.

Bjj is almost a blend of Judo and Wrestling without as many throws. You'll learn some of the same take downs as used in wrestling but they just won't be as fine turned. Bjj will also probably have classes were you get to shed the gi (no gi). This type of training will let you see what will work on the street were your foe will not always have a gi top of thick winter coat on. Were Judo will only use the gi and wrestling will be strictly no gi type training.

I would go check out all 3 schools, and then make my decision from there. As mentioned above, the level of instruction might make a difference.

Or, you could do one for 3 months, then the other, then the other...and just keep rotating.

I would go check out all 3 schools, and then make my decision from there. As mentioned above, the level of instruction might make a difference.

This would be the best option. Or if you could, you might try taking 2.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

I can tell you this much - Judo is fun.

This is a very great post. I think we (myself included) get to caught up in the, "this style has this and that style has that" kinds of stuff. Fun is way under-rated!

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

If they have it- don't forget SAMBO!

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt