• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Contact allowed in One-Steps?

northerndragon

thats why you build up to it, by the time you reach your brown belt you should be able to take a full shot to the ribs or mid section and be fine. it is inevitable that you will sustain damage in a conflict so you should prepare for it. i dont care if you are a judan you will still not be able to block everything

I think its this kind of thinking that turns many away from martial arts and is frankly a terrific way to injure yourself so you dont train for a while. In one steps the idea is to let the other person practice a return technique without the substancial damage that comes along with it.

Anyone can break someone elses ribs easily if you let them, this kind of training makes no sense to me. Are you sure you understand what one steps are and how they are conducted?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats why you build up to it, by the time you reach your brown belt you should be able to take a full shot to the ribs or mid section and be fine. it is inevitable that you will sustain damage in a conflict so you should prepare for it. i dont care if you are a judan you will still not be able to block everything

I think its this kind of thinking that turns many away from martial arts and is frankly a terrific way to injure yourself so you dont train for a while. In one steps the idea is to let the other person practice a return technique without the substancial damage that comes along with it.

I agree here. MMA fighters don't have any problems taking full contact shots in fights, but they don't train that way. Rarely are their sparring sessions as intense as their fights are.

if they are turned away by the way i train then they dont belong there, i dont teach ballet i teach a combat sport. it may be a way to hurt yourself but thats why it is built up to, im not gonna drill a jukyu with punches like that, but an ikkyu or shodan is gonna feel it

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

I'm never one to say training shouldn't be hard, or that it shouldn't mimic the conditions of a real fight. But I think some of the others here have a point on this one unknownstyle.

One steps, or any kind of technical work are almost by definition designed to help one improve on, or develop movments that he can utilize to defend himself. Even at advanced levels improvement should always be occuring and time taken to reinforce neural pathways that lend themselves to the successful execution of a defense. That's what this type of training is for. For the record, I think of it in the same catagory as mitt work or similar activities.

Can contact increse at advanced levels, sure. But what is more important than contact for this particular drill is intensity and focus. If you are ramping up contact, which is a good idea for certain types of training, then I advocate adding some gear and using it intermitantly. Injuries happen enough in this field without almost asking for more, they are a byproduct of training. Best to keep eveyone healthy for sparring activities, which are better for heavy contact and the real thing.

• 1 month later...

2008/8/5th

Quite a few responses on my topic initially posted months ago. Glad it's offering food for thought.

My take on this is I agree with Bushidoman_96: One Steps are for a specific purpose. If one reads the first post that I wrote, this One Step scenario happened on just my second of third day of JOINING. No point in taking a full-on strike to the face when your positioned prone/bent-over, letting your partner take ahold of your punching wrist beforehand. Bad scene.

Thanks for my back Bushidoman_96.

All other points about training, conditioning, respect, and honor I agree with and that could have been the case in any other dojo where one gains this in due time. I've since moved on away from this aforementioned dojo. No hard feelings now. Glad it is such a "hot topic" though for some: just make sure you read the first post.

... I've since moved on away from this aforementioned dojo. No hard feelings now.

So have you stopped "bouncing" northerndragon?

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com