• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Gosoku-Ryu

northerndragon

2008-4-13th

Greetings again forum:

Anyone here study under Sensei/Soke Tak Kubota, of Gosoku Ryu?

I reside in Alaska, and the other day visited and trialed a class. Great system.

Very briefly: I've been training at home by very, VERY humble means: a book by Hirokazu Kanazawa, for about one and a half years. This book: "Black Belt Karate ~ The Intensive Course", Kodansha Publishers. A good, good book I might ad. But I knew that I was leaving out a key part by training via this book: that being a real class. Granted the author intentionally designed and edited his book to be used by folks, at home (or away from a dojo). This book was basically a purchase to introduce me to Shotokan and it has literally done that. I am happy with this purchase. I've read that Sensei Kanazawa (10th dan) is not only a good writer and teacher but I've heard he's very respected as a teacher worldwide. There is one Shotokan dojo in my general community but it's a half-hour's drive away :cry: , while I found a much closer Gosoku Ryu dojo nearby:

---> I found this great little dojo taught by a Sensei who has an official branch dojo of Soke/Sensei Tak Kubota. I was impressed, and the one class was enough to keep me intrigued. As for Shotokan, fortunately, the founder of this Gosoku Ryu initially trained in or taught Shotokan, so it does show "outwardly" at least some Shotokan connections. I cannot tell in just one class, so I though to inquire with the fine folks at this forum: ..question:

Anyone study at or witnessed Gosoku Ryu ? or have met Soke/Sensei Kubota? His website shows him PUNCHING an iron-beam in his dojo!! ouch!

regards,

Eric

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I study shudo-kan with a heavy gosoku-ryu influence in it as my sense has dan ratings in both. Ive never met Soke Kubota but would love to, my sense has. Its a very hard and fast style. If you have an opportunity to study the style I would, Im a little biased :D

Kubota Takayuki Soke is a legend in the martial arts and the head of an international organization. As you said, he used to be Shotokan. I'm sure he used that as the basis for Gosoku Ryu. I guess he most known for being the creator of the Kubotan keychain.

I know a few people who teach Gosoku Ryu, and I have met Soke once or twice, but I'm sure he wouldn't remember me. Over the years, I've heard lots of good things about him, but I don't remember ever hearing anything bad.

In case you didn't know, Soke has also done some stuff on TV and in movies. IMDB lists an appearance on the TV show, Heroes, that I kind of remember seeing. He usually does pretty small parts, but he's done a bunch of them. More than IMDB has.

Enjoy Gosoku Ryu!

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

John (JohnASE),

Yes, I'm relieved to have found it. From the best of my recollection, he is the only black belt in the Dojo, naturally. But he has not one black belt "under" him that is there as a student or assistant.

I also am impressed with the speed that the Sensei of this dojo teaches Gosoku Ryu. He's a stickler for proper stances and footwork. On just my second class, he told a student to not bother learning the stances beyond the one (standing) stance if he was to persist not bending his knees. Low, strong stancework is the norm on just my second night.

I'm happy to have found it.

regards,

Eric

Sounds like my type of teacher! Stances have been a problem for us for a long time. When I first learned, I remember only ever doing the one stance until it was 100% right, then I was shown a new one.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" Confucius

http://graniteshotokan.wordpress.com

Ive certainly had my fair share of kicks to the back of the knees to make me go lower, smacks to the belly to straighten up etc.

Id like to say I think Ive gotten it, but about that time I seem to get another reminder that Im slipping again :lol: