• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

After the fact

While reporting the incident is certainly a good idea, don't say too much. Even if all you say is true, the police can use that truth against you if it fits into an alternate scenerio. There could be a credible eye witness that could call you a liar and not be lying, simply mistaken. Now your intergrity is called into question.

Best course of action: contact your lawyer!

Increase work capacity over broad time and modal domains. Intensity is key.

Victory is reserved for those willing to pay its price.

-Sun Tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Contacting your lawyer is a good idea. However, I think a lot of people think that if they say "I'm not saying anything until I speak to my attorney" means that they get to go free. Not so. What happens then is the officer only has what he saw to go on, and what other witnesses, victims, or participants said or were caught doing. So, in the end, all involved may get arrested and charged. Then, you get a ticket, most likely with a court date on it (that's when your attorney gets to show up), and possibly a bond to post before leaving jail.

I agree with many of the sentements here. I have always thought (since I first considered such a situation) that I would first retreat to a safe area, and then immediately call 911.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein