• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Submissions for in someone's Guard?

One that is very effective. and I use it often, it is the Ezekiel choke although it must be done with a gi. You wrap one arm around the back of his head while you are in his closed guard, you grab the inside of your opposite hand's sleave, 4 fingers in grip, while holding that with say, your right hand, you take the left hand and cross over the front of the person's throat and now grab the inside of you right hand's sleave, and pull them both tight while turning your forearms in against the throat. very nasty choke.

Don't try this on a skilled grappler. You'll be swept and mounted. It's not good to do while in the guard. Not trying to be overyly negative, the Ezekiel is a good choke. Just not from inside the guard of someone who knows how to grapple well.

Once you have it locked in, it doesn't matter if he rolls you over, you can still get the tap, even if he rolls you over. Best thing to do is when you lock it on, give yourself a wide base. This choke doesn't take long to get a tap.

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One that is very effective. and I use it often, it is the Ezekiel choke although it must be done with a gi. You wrap one arm around the back of his head while you are in his closed guard, you grab the inside of your opposite hand's sleave, 4 fingers in grip, while holding that with say, your right hand, you take the left hand and cross over the front of the person's throat and now grab the inside of you right hand's sleave, and pull them both tight while turning your forearms in against the throat. very nasty choke.

Don't try this on a skilled grappler. You'll be swept and mounted. It's not good to do while in the guard. Not trying to be overyly negative, the Ezekiel is a good choke. Just not from inside the guard of someone who knows how to grapple well.

That ones better for the mount.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Check out http://www.lockflow.com They've got alot of good stuff you can add to your bag of tricks. They have a section for being in your opponents guard.

Thanks for that site. It has some good stuff! I'm competing next week for the first time as a blue belt so I need all the help I can get.

An ezekial choke is best applied from positions other than inside your opponents guard. When attempted against someone with a decent guard game, the ezekial will simply get you swept, as someone else pointed out, or even should you base out, get you armbarred from the person on the bottom. Should you attempt and ezekial from bottom mount, its easily defended when your opponent pushes your elbows, and follows up with an armlock on you.

To address the original posters question, there really arent any submissions to be applied from within your opponents guard. This has less to do with the fact that your opponent is controlling your hips than it does the fact that you're not controlling his. Any submission requires that you extend your arms in some manner. In doing that, your opponent is able to move his hips in some position in order to set up an armbar for you.

If you want to fight to submit your opponent from inside his guard, you'll ultimately just end up wasting your time and slowing your technical progress as a grappler. Open your opponents guard and look to pass, then you can submit him with whatever you like

Check out http://www.lockflow.com They've got alot of good stuff you can add to your bag of tricks. They have a section for being in your opponents guard.

Yeah that site is my homepage. Great techniques and forum there.

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

An ezekial choke is best applied from positions other than inside your opponents guard. When attempted against someone with a decent guard game, the ezekial will simply get you swept, as someone else pointed out, or even should you base out, get you armbarred from the person on the bottom. Should you attempt and ezekial from bottom mount, its easily defended when your opponent pushes your elbows, and follows up with an armlock on you.

To address the original posters question, there really arent any submissions to be applied from within your opponents guard. This has less to do with the fact that your opponent is controlling your hips than it does the fact that you're not controlling his. Any submission requires that you extend your arms in some manner. In doing that, your opponent is able to move his hips in some position in order to set up an armbar for you.

If you want to fight to submit your opponent from inside his guard, you'll ultimately just end up wasting your time and slowing your technical progress as a grappler. Open your opponents guard and look to pass, then you can submit him with whatever you like

I see what you're saying, but I think it's worth exploring.

Excellent post.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

My teacher said he can teach 4 techniques from inside the guard. I'm curious to see what he's come up with. He's taught me crazy techniques so far.

Well, Im not counting simple attacks like "Can Openers" and things like that.

Submitting someone from inside their own guard isnt impossible, its just never going to be done against anyone who's any good, and you take a significant risk while attempting it. You'll submit white belts, and thats about it

• 4 weeks later...