• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Mandatory Training for Flight attendants

I had a fellow student, actually two, in my old school that were polits. But one of them works for United Airlines. Man were we praying for him that day! He was home when it happened (Thank God). Anyways, he is a second degree BB. He said if it were his plane, he would have did the same as those on 93. He suggested to his bosses about training everyone, but all they did was stick marshalls on the planes and seal off the polits. So, some airlines did seal off the polits.

But I would still train the crews if I were the airline management. I would pick Combat Hapkido or Karv Maga, because they are easier to learn, but effective. It'll still take a while to learn, but, at least, they would know SOMETHING.

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

With the rise in "air rage", even before 9/11 there was a need for some type of regular training for flight attendants. I strongly agree with those who said just a few classes in not sufficent. I think that need is for an ongoing program.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I agree as well that the airlines need to provide and on-going training program on basic self defense. I have a student who is a pilot with a major commercial airline and she had told me once that they were responsible for dealing with the problem passenger(s). She told me that all they provided them with were a pair of cuffs, and no training on how to use them. Talk about a liability suit waiting to happen :kaioken:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

I think MA training is an awesome idea. For flight attendants, pilots, engineers...remember, it'd still be important for those who service the plane before it takes off. Think about how many movies you've seen where somebody knocks out the mechanic and takes their clothing to get on board, etc. If a terrorist should try to place a bomb on the airplane while a mechanic is servicing it, there may be a struggle...

sounds imaginative, but it could happen!

While training would be good, they have to know when to not use it. For example, if terrorists are only using the plane as a means of transportation and do not intend to crash it or use for any other violent means, basically if there are no violent intentions, then using martial arts could turn the situation hot. However, in situations such as 9/11's PA crash, that is a good time to use them.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

How do you tell which is which until its too late?

If they know that they're going to be fought every step of the way then hijackings will become a lot rarer.

[ This Message was edited by: ckdstudent on 2002-06-13 13:27 ]

---------

Pil Sung

Jimmy B

Don't see how it will help. If someone is serious about highjacking an airplane they will come in armed, either with a gun or a knife they smuggled in, metal detectors can't stop one of those plastic blades that are sharp enough to inflict some serious pain. I can't imagine a flight attendant trying a sidekick in a crowded isle against some baddie who's holding someone hostage with a knife.

Although I do agree some training will help. Martial Arts weren't something that was only usefull in combat back in the middle ages (feudal Japan or something)... a Samurai trying some Karate on an armed opponent would find himself dead. In todays society, weapons are no longer brandished publically and certain areas are devoid of them... so an extra edge in unarmed subduing/combat would help.

Metal detectors can't stop them, but think about it. After 9/11 hijackers are no longer assumed to be simply holding hostages, passengers and crew will fight them no matter what because there's the same chance that they'll die either way.

---------

Pil Sung

Jimmy B