• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What if a guy like Fedor , Randy or Ken shamrock join a local BJJ club.......

Would those guys start at white belt and get a purple belt or more in a month ???

??

Saulo Ribeiro earned his BJJ black belt in three years. That was under Royler Gracie. If the skill is there, the rank will be awarded. But Purple in a month is a bit exaggerated. There's a certain loyalty aspect as well.

Who told you that?

Saulo told me that at a seminar.

Here's a link that has his start date and date of black belt also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saulo_Ribeiro

I see- thats only taking into account when he started BJJ. Saulo actually started off with Judo, which Brazil's is second in the world only to Japan. While he took 3 years of BJJ, he had previous grappling experience- I believe he did Judo for at least a year prior.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I see. Not that it matters much. None of the guys mentioned in the thread have his grappling skill.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I see. Not that it matters much. None of the guys mentioned in the thread have his grappling skill.

Not even fedor ?

´´ The evil may win a round , but not the fight ´´

Not even fedor ?

Don't get me wrong. Fedor is certainly good. In a MMA match...he destroys Saulo hands down with no contest. That's the exact thing that would get him beaten by Saulo in a pure grappling match. In MMA you can't always be as technical. Saulo would win in a sub grappling match.

But you're right, with his Judo and Sambo background, Fedor wouldn't take long to earn BB in BJJ. A few years maybe.

Fedor is like one of the best Sambo guys in the world, though (from what I understand). Even with his Sambo training, he would still get dominated by Saulo?

Fedor is like one of the best Sambo guys in the world, though (from what I understand). Even with his Sambo training, he would still get dominated by Saulo?

I think so. Not because his Sambo isn't good (it is very good). Rather, because he trains for MMA so much. He wouldn't do certain things because he's used to training punching. The butterfly guard and half guard are two big examples. They are mainstays in submission grappling but are avoided in MMA because a good striker will hit you. Whereas Saulo has made his career doing submission grappling.

I see. That makes sense, then.

However, doesn't Fedor compete in some strictly Sambo competitions still? I don't know how it relates to Submission Grappling, but I don't think they do any striking.

Saulo is much much more accomplished than Fedor is in grappling. Fedor is much much more accomplished than Saulo is in MMA.

That being said, Ricardo Arona fought Fedor early in both of their careers, and arguably beat Fedor. Saulo and Arona are similar in regards to the pressure they have when passing and their strength at takedowns. So while Saulo would be a significant underdog, if he were to take Fedor to the ground, the tables turn.