• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What if a guy like Fedor , Randy or Ken shamrock join a local BJJ club.......

Would those guys start at white belt and get a purple belt or more in a month ???

??

´´ The evil may win a round , but not the fight ´´

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I would be surprised if one of those guys came to a club, and then asked to start training for rank.

If they did, however, I imagine they would start out on the bottom, and work their way up. They may work through the ranks faster, because of their experience, though. In the end, it will depend on what the instructor decides to do.

I don't think so per se. You get a belt in BJJ for BJJ- not for mma. If they are pretty good and tapping out higher belts regularly, promotion should be much faster.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

It's Happened. We have had instructors promote people who were like 2nd degree black belts in Judo and have done MMA and give them blue belts when they entered a competition. Why Not? It wouldn't be fair to ahve them enter a BJJ competition at Novice level when in fact, they aren't novices. This leads to sandbagging at competitions

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

It's Happened. We have had instructors promote people who were like 2nd degree black belts in Judo and have done MMA and give them blue belts when they entered a competition

I think that is cool...but isnt it up to the instructor ??? Some traditionalist old BJJ guys maybe wont do that.

Im sure that a guy like yoshida could be nearly a BJJ black belt....but NOBODY will give such high rank to a ´´ foreing ´´ of the art..

Blue belt in the other hand... is more ´´handy ´´ to give to guys from other MA.

Why Not? It wouldn't be fair to ahve them enter a BJJ competition at Novice level when in fact, they aren't novices. This leads to sandbagging at competitions

Yeah ! I get your point...if a 5th dan olympic medalist Judo guy enters a BJJ white belt competition, its like ¿cheating ? not technically....but it is not fair.

´´ The evil may win a round , but not the fight ´´

Would those guys start at white belt and get a purple belt or more in a month ???

??

Saulo Ribeiro earned his BJJ black belt in three years. That was under Royler Gracie. If the skill is there, the rank will be awarded. But Purple in a month is a bit exaggerated. There's a certain loyalty aspect as well.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

??

Saulo Ribeiro earned his BJJ black belt in three years. That was under Royler Gracie. If the skill is there, the rank will be awarded. But Purple in a month is a bit exaggerated. There's a certain loyalty aspect as well.

Who told you that?

In regards to the original question, BJJ is training with the gi. Fedor would do well, since hes got much Judo experience. I wouldnt expect Randy to do so well- depends how well he can pass a guard and control his opponent with a gi on.

Shamrock I would expect would be a blue belt for life- hes far from a technical grappler in my book. Once again, adding a gi to someone who's been doing no gi their entire life switches things up significantly.

Diego Sanchez, for example, was a white belt until recently

??

Who told you that?

Saulo told me that at a seminar.

Here's a link that has his start date and date of black belt also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saulo_Ribeiro

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."