• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

School Manuals

Hey guys,

Like you've seen in my other topic, im trying to devise a manual for my school and i need some help! Now it's one school wide manual for all ranks. It's hard to cover everything, make it interesting, and be cost effective! So, in your mind, what you be the things you'd have to put in there?

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Hey guys,

Like you've seen in my other topic, im trying to devise a manual for my school and i need some help! Now it's one school wide manual for all ranks. It's hard to cover everything, make it interesting, and be cost effective! So, in your mind, what you be the things you'd have to put in there?

I'm working on one now. I'm adding schools rules, a price list of gear (estimated price range for each item) Terminology, & a brief history of my training & the school. That's what I've got so far.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

ugh, good luck im on the school's 4th edition now and i'll tell you it's a painful and hard process. good luck. to help you out i'll gladly post my table of contents if you think that would help you out?

• 2 weeks later...

A pro for having a manual for all ranks is it is cost effective and students can see what kind of things they'll be learning in the next belt.

A con would be students may lose focus on their current curriculum because they are trying to learn what's ahead. I understand they're excited and that's great but make it clear that they cannot learn from a manual alone. It's there for reference only.

Iceman's inclusions are good. I'd also add in things like student expectations, how to practice at home and in the dojang, nutrition and health tips for martial artists, how to tie your belt, care of uniform and equipment and stretching tips to enhance your techniques.

thanks for the suggestions. we've had a training manual for over 10 years i think. and believe it or not the kids don't skip ahead, they hardly practice their own material, and it's a struggle to even get them to do that. it's actually the black belts who we have trouble with on trying to learn ahead. it's not as much of a problem as many people think, so if that's ever holding anybody here back from making a manual, don't let it. like it said, it's usually the black belts because they have more time and less material to physically memorize.

thank you for the suggestions concerning content, i never considered those before, we were just considering history and content...etc.

believe it or not the kids don't skip ahead, they hardly practice their own material, and it's a struggle to even get them to do that.

Heh, I hear that. It's usually the "keeners" that skip ahead.

exactly, and even then...i usually don't mind all that much. just as they don't parade it around the dojang

As a parent, I'd like to offer my 2 cents. If you are planning on mentioning gear, are you selling it from the Dojo or allowing the students/parents to buy it where they want? My sons Dojo recommends you by the gear from them as its approved by the instructor. (for insurance reasons) My opinion, its safer buying from the Dojo, even if it costs a little more, and know you have equipment that is "Sensei approved" rather than finding something cheap on the internet, and having it fall apart after 3 or 4 uses or actually hurting someone else.

If you allow the students/parents to buy off the internet, at least have them show you what they want to buy before they buy it for your approval.