• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Mile High Karate???

Anyone here know anything about Mile High Karate? My instructor is thinking of changing our school into a Mile High Karate Franchise, which is quite strange (IMO) since we're a Tae Kwon Do School. I am an instructor at the school, and my instructor wants me to take over running the school, but I'm not sure I want to if it will be changing into this franchise. Our entire curriculum will change, and therefore I'll have to learn the new one if I want to continue teaching there.

I've been training with my instructor for over 13 years, and I've branched out into BJJ and Samurai Arts and some other training on my own, and lately our training at the dojang has seemed more and more watered down, with an emphasis on making things fun and easy for the younger students. Quality of, and attention to technique barely exist anymore, and now this potential switch to a Mile High Karate Franchise school has me even more worried.

Anyone have any experience with this franchise? Can you give me your opinions on it?

Much appreciated.

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

that's rough man, im sorry to hear there. i don't have personal experience from it but i hear that franchises are bad bad news. if you are really that influential of a member i'd speak up(respectfully) and say something like, with all due respect sir, i don't think going 'franchise' is going to be the right direction for the school, students, or instructors alike. and test the waters and see how comfortable he really feels with making the school a franchise. but definately try to change his mind(respectfully, again of course) because franchises ruin perfectly credible schools.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

I'm of the same opinion NE KyoSa, and I've already voiced my opinions about the dive in quality of technique, but my instructor seems to be in it just for the money nowadays, and she doesn't seem to care about quality instruction anymore. It's a real shame because we used to have one of the most respected schools around, and while it's still got a very good reputation in terms of a business, the newer students are really hurting in terms of the level of skill we used to hold as a standard.

While I've trained at the school for longer than all but a couple other students, (over 13 years) and I do have some influence and try to clean up technique whenever I can (and to my surprise, students have thanked me for it frequently), but I unfortunately have been busy with my own personal world lately, and have only been teaching/training 1-2 days per week over the past year or so. When my instructor asked me to take over, I thought I'd be able to restore some of the old standards and attention to proper technique we used to have, but again, now that the plan seems to be to switch to this franchise, I feel like leaving the school altogether, unless I hear some really really good things about Mile High Karate. (And even so, I still wouldn't be thrilled with the switch.)

I'm of the same opinion NE KyoSa, and I've already voiced my opinions about the dive in quality of technique, but my instructor seems to be in it just for the money nowadays, and she doesn't seem to care about quality instruction anymore. It's a real shame because we used to have one of the most respected schools around, and while it's still got a very good reputation in terms of a business, the newer students are really hurting in terms of the level of skill we used to hold as a standard.

While I've trained at the school for longer than all but a couple other students, (over 13 years) and I do have some influence and try to clean up technique whenever I can (and to my surprise, students have thanked me for it frequently), but I unfortunately have been busy with my own personal world lately, and have only been teaching/training 1-2 days per week over the past year or so. When my instructor asked me to take over, I thought I'd be able to restore some of the old standards and attention to proper technique we used to have, but again, now that the plan seems to be to switch to this franchise, I feel like leaving the school altogether, unless I hear some really really good things about Mile High Karate. (And even so, I still wouldn't be thrilled with the switch.)

that's a shame, im sorry your instructor thinks that way, i have seen this happen to many good schools and good people, so youre not alone.

if your instructor refuses to hear you, and you really wish to keep with the school and take it over, i'd tell her you are willing to take it over, and was wondering when that was going to take place, just so you can be prepared. and see if she's willing to fork it over before she joins the franchise. if not then you're only chances is taking it over and then pulling out of the franchise, which probably comes with cancelling some sort of contract because after all...it is a franchise. or you can move schools. it's all up to you but i truly sorry you're stuck in this position. after 13 years you really don't want to leave your school, but franchises are very very messy things. good luck man.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

I don't think I would want to be part of the switch. I would rather split off and do my own thing, I think, than be a part of the franchise like that. Especially if your ideals and those of the others are not the same. There would be no point in teaching something you don't believe in.

Very much agreed bushido_man. Thanks for the input.

From what a quick net search shows up for Mile High Karate, it's a program based on youth (grades 4-12). It's apparently is offered as a sort of family oriented fittness program.

I'd speak with the head instructor and express my concerns if I were you. Find out exactally what this shift to Mile High means for what you can and can't teach and to whom. If it's a kids program and you can run a seperate adult program as you see fit, perhaps it's something you can live with. As long as you can still build a good foundation with the children's program it might be tolerable. But, if it's something you have to compromise good technique and sound training for, especially for older kids(say 14+) and adults, I wouldn't be willing to do it if I were you.

I hate hearing that things have gone down as much as they have for you though sir.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

One thing I have heard consistantly about running a financially successful school is that the kids pay the bills. The income that will cover rent and utilities, even the insurance you'll need comes from the tuition of your children's classes. It's what lets you train the adults the way you want instead of focusing on cardio-kickboxing etc. That's not saying that you have to compromise your standards, it is just a business aspect that you have to keep in mind if you want the doors to stay open.

Either way, good luck with whatever decision you make.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

• 3 years later...