• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New Here. Have a question--stubborn student.

First of all, telling a group of 4 year olds that they should do this or they will do push ups is the wrong approach. i don't believe that 4 is too young to learn basic skills like balance, discipline, coordination, team work, etc... in fact our preschool class is based on these concepts. You can even purchase neat stickers that say these exact words. Our training of all students is based on positive reinforcement. If you have one child who is not trying hard, you point out the ones who are, bring them up front and you can give them a stripe on their belt (one that does not indicate rank but "good job"). Each lesson is planned around a theme. If we are working on balance, we may ask them to stand on one foot and see how many times they can kick without dropping their foot. At the end of their lesson, those who participated and tried hard gets the stripe that says "balance" on their belt. If you do things like this, your troubled student may come around.

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this is certainly very interesting. Telling a group of four year olds that they should do something or they will do something they would not enjoy is the entire basis of discipline and self control. Not every child is going to 'want a sticker' and some may even hate the stickers so that also could be the wrong approach. There is a way to maintain a positive atmosphere and still be disciplined in what you do. Our students get positive reinforcement when they follow directions, do a certain technique right, put an outstanding effort forth, etc...but they get it verbally and knowing how i was brought up and taught, that is more than enough. If my Instructor gave me an 'atta-girl' for doing something i would be beaming for the rest of the night and try to put my best foot forward to get a similar comment again. Usually trouble children aren't the ones who are going to want a pretty sticker, and are usually the ones who would take it off and throw it on the floor...but thats just my experience with so-called 'trouble students'

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

I honestly really think he is to young and doing time outs he properly saying thank you quitely to himself exspecially if he does not want to participate. An I think there is your answer.

Thanks for the feed back.

He is in the lil dragon class. It is a class that basically teaches the consepts of listening, balance, discipline, respect, etc. There are basic martial arts skills introduced like punching, blocking, and a few basic kicks. I am definatly not trying to have them master the martial arts in this class. It is a basic introduciton. I have kids his age that are doing great in the class.

I have tried the time out during activities. I have tried the praise. I have tried one on one but I am not getting through to him.

Have you asked his parents if he's taken a nap before he comes? Maybe we're all reading into it too much. Maybe the poor kid is just tired.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

How bout you try doing a game when he does that. But still putting him in timeout. So then when he desides he doesn't want to participate in the more difficult things, really he doesn't get to particiate in the more fun things. Make sure then when he does participate in the more difficult things then you give him lots of praise. Good luck

This is a tactic that I have used, and it usually gets results. If it doesn't work, then it would be in your best interest to discontinue the student. Otherwise, his disruptfulness will take away from those who are there to learn.

I don't know how to reach him. I don't want to kick him out because his older sister is in the regular class and since we are a small startup school we need the student base and the money.

Don't fall victim to this. Just because you need the money, it is not a good enough reason to keep around students that are going to act this way. If you start this now, then it will continue on, and it could lead to bad publicity eventually.

Don't fall victim to this. Just because you need the money, it is not a good enough reason to keep around students that are going to act this way. If you start this now, then it will continue on, and it could lead to bad publicity eventually.

I also don't want to give up on him but I understand what you are saying.

He came to class last night and I got a chance to talk to his mom. She said he doesn't do well in "stressful" situations. The class he had a meltdown in was a rank test. In that class they can advance by time and participation. They don't have to perform perfectly and have help with the techniques.

I did a lot of drills and praise for him and he participated and had a good time. I think I just need to work with him more about handling stress. He seems too young to be so stressed out.

Perhaps he needs a hiatus before he picks it back up again.

Whenever you work with kids, it is a good idea to bring them along on a trial basis, to see how they will handle it. If they are not mature enough, then it may be necessary to hold them off for another 6 months or a year. It can make a big difference.