• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Types of forms

In a tkd school I have previously visited I noticed the cirriculum for the forms alternated with a form from the Taeguek pattern set and then one from the palgwe pattern set varying all the way to koryo. Would this be ITF, WTF or other. When asked the only relpy I recieved was, it is chung do kwan.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Tae Guek & Pal Gwe poomsae are WTF. However, the Chung Do Kwan school may or may not be affiliated with the WTF per se. They very well may be only affiliated with the World Chung Do Kwan Association or similiar group.

The WTF headquarters is called the Kukkiwon. It handles the curiculum, while the WTF handles the sport. Some folks will say, "I'm affiliated with the Kukkiwon, but not the WTF," as a way of saying they aren't into the sport aspects of TKD.

Some Chung Do Kwan schools aren't affilated with the WTF at all. But rather, the WCDKA or similiar group.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

Thanks. That is kind of what I thought. This instructor owned the school and kinda did his own thing but was very detail oriented and followed traditional ways. It was not uncommon for him to yell at a parent during an exam for talking too loudly.

I see your style is Chung Do Kwan, what pattern set do you follow?

Iceman is right. In most of the WTF books on forms that I have read, the Pal Gwe were the older forms, and the Tae Gueks are the newer forms. I don't know what kind of black belt forms there are of the Pal Gwe type; I think there are only 8.

I am not sure if the Kukkiwon requires both, or just one. Nor am I sure what the WTF requires. I think the WTF just wants a rank certificate.

Thanks. That is kind of what I thought. This instructor owned the school and kinda did his own thing but was very detail oriented and followed traditional ways. It was not uncommon for him to yell at a parent during an exam for talking too loudly.

I see your style is Chung Do Kwan, what pattern set do you follow?[/quote]

We follow the Tae Guek poomsae (including BB forms Koryo thru Ilyeo) which is the Kukkiwon guideline. My organization also does Bassai & Empi (although we call it a different name) which are actually Karate kata that were still taught to Chung Do Kwan students in the early 60's when my GM began training. Some Chung Do Kwan schools do many more of the older forms.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton