• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To Roundhouse traditional or to not

northerndragon

In Chuan Fa and TKD I was taught to use the instep/ shin. In Shotokan I was taught to use the ball of the foot. I perfer to use the shin or instep. In Shotokan classes I used the ball at my instructor's request. Shotokan has been my only dealings with Karate and the only place I was taught to use the ball of the foot.

I was never taught a telegraphed type of round house kick. Though it sounds like it's just a phase of teaching (as others have mentioned). It's been a very long time since I first learned them however. It's more than possible that I have simply forgotten how it was taught to me when I was a child.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting really, as mawashi-geri is never seen in any Wado kata, but today we did some excellent "Tanto-dori " at the club which featured a drop out of the line of attack and a Mawashi (from kneeling) with josukuto, ala Unsu Kata.

Correctly, the kick goes into the right groin of the oponent, and because of the line of Uke's attack, you can only do this with ball of foot.

Works well.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

Interesting to read all the great replies. Thanks guys.

Shorikid, I liked your point about being able to torque the kick/shift it depending on where one decides at the last second. But to bring it up high, as in a front kick preparation, from the rear foot, prior to this.

So many GREAT replies, thanks all!

Another tangent:

With Yoko Geri ke age (side snap kick), this is a great example I think, of being able to torque the "hips into the kick" as the kicking leg is snapped out powerfully. I notice that the further out-the-kicking-knee is pointed towards the target, whilst the instep is supported on the inside-of-the-base-supportive-knee, that the kick can generate deceptive knee-TO-hip power.

regards,

Eric

I'm new here but good read on how people were trained.

I've been shown many different aspects of the kick but still go to my sensei teachings on using the ball of the foot. Between him and his teacher they always told us that was the more......trying to find the right word. Not so much traditional but in sd aspects it was more beneficial.

I guess all in all its pretty much what is good for you might not be good for the next guy to use.

I still train with the ball of the foot but we also keep our kicks waist high for more strength and stability. Have never hurt myself kicking this way but we also try to condition ourselves to only kick with the ball with certain kicks also.

I have seen some of the big toe breaks, but with front kicks. Really nasty, and I don't see myself doing anything like that....ever. Those guys with the conditioning to do it, though, are something else.

Well, you might do it if you have a good pair of shoes on maybe?

Oh, yeah! Steel-toed boots come to mind....

• 1 month later...
I have seen some of the big toe breaks, but with front kicks. Really nasty, and I don't see myself doing anything like that....ever. Those guys with the conditioning to do it, though, are something else.

Well, you might do it if you have a good pair of shoes on maybe?

Oh, yeah! Steel-toed boots come to mind....

Oh combat boots, how I love thee....

I was taught that the ball of the foot is preferred, but, toe, instep, and shin are acceptable. What gets used depends on target and distancing. (Oh, and the shoes you're wearing. I would not do a toe kick in flip-flops, but love them when I'm wearing my boots)

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky