• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anderson Silva vs. Roy Jones, Jr??

Roy Jones Jr. vs. Anderson Silva  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Roy Jones Jr. vs. Anderson Silva

• Roy Jones
    • Anderson Silva

What do you think of this matchup: Roy Jones Jr. vs. Anderson Silva?

Apparently, this seems to be something that may be in the works. According to the article, Silva looks up to Jones, and would love to prove the worth of the UFC fighters in the Boxing ring. This match would be fought under Boxing rules, in an attempt to stoke some of the comments heard from fighters like Floyd Mayweather Jr.

I think that this would be great match to see. Who would tune in to it? Who would you take?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I too think this would be a great match to watch. I see it possible for Anderson to win. He would take the training very serious. But both guys would have a punchers chance to win. But I would see Anderson setting a blistering pass that seems to be how he likes to fight. Still I'd buy the ppv. Anderson not only wants to huss the crittics that MMA fighters are un skilled but he say it prove who's the best in the world at 185. There's a good article on mmaweekly on this subject that was posted several weeks ago.

It would be interesting to see if Anderson's fast pace would wear him out. If they used Boxing rules, and Boxing gloves, I don't know if the fast pace would be as coducive as it would be in an MMA match. With the lighter gloves, the knockouts come more easily. With the bigger Boxing gloves, it would change the strategy a bit, I think. Either way, if he is good condition, he may be able to set a quick pace, and possibly overwhelm Jones. You can't count out Jones, though. That guy is a great all-around athlete. He tried out for some semi-pro basketball at one point. He's got a good stroke.

Anderson says that that fight is a dream of his to fight Jones. Also with the mention of the heavier gloves Anderson would train properly for this he's an intelligent athilete. He wouldn't half way train for a fight. I mean no direspect to Jones but I think Anderson could surprise alot of people in this one but again Jones has the advantage in a boxing only match. It could go eigther way. Likke I said I'd pay to see this one.

Picked up some word on this. Apparently Anderson as a pro boxing record of 1-1. From what I heard, his win was over a new fighter who was 0-0, the lose to a guy with something like 22-3. I don't know about the ko/decision status of the win and lose though. So Anderso has trained for boxing before and should know the drill as far as pacing and conditioning. He's smart and can work a lot of angles, Jones knows them as well. I'd have to look at the reach advantage and were it falls. Speed wise, I think that goes to Jones. I'd have to see some more tape of both, in the 12ozers and boxing only, to get a solid idea of who edges who though. Over all, I'm sure it would be close. Now if you put on the mma gloves and just let the clinch ride, without even the knees or elbows. Just dirty boxing, it's a no contest. Heck, even with the limitationof a boxer's clinch, it might be the best place for Anderson to work. What I think will stop this fight would be the money and the managers.

Jones doesn't have anything to prove. He's a champ known round the world. He's made more money on a single fight than Anderson has made in his entire career. If the man can't get enough cash and the promoters and agents can't get enough money, it won't happen.

Do I want to see it? Yes, heck yes. Who do I think would win? Jones unless Anderson can absolutely overwhelm him. Jones is smart enough to stay out of the power shots Anderson can line up and a can work the score cards, he's had to before. Do I really need to go into the judges? Well, I will, sorry. Unless they get a really good panel, you'll end up with some guys that are going to fall on the same side as a lot of the commentaters. They have no respect for mma fighters, calling them a bunch of brawlers or washed up, never was boxers. I don't believe that. And as money, public exposure and fame come to mma, it will definately not be the case.

He could have gone to mma, but we all see where the money has led Mayweahter don't we? We'll just have to wait and see what Jones does.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

I'll have to dig a bit, but I think mmajukie.com had the article, but Dana White has already said he will not/would not allow a fight between Anderson and Jones. Got to love that strangle hold he keeps on the fighters. :evil:

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

That kind of stinks. This kind of challenge is what the original Vale Tudo and the UFC was built on in the first place. Getting back in touch with the roots would be good to see.

Are you guys serious? You think Sylva has a chance of winning a boxing match against Roy Jones? He may be past his prime but he is a top notch boxer, not 1-1 semi pro boxer. Come on guys Jones would mop the floor with Sylva in pure boxing match.

Are you guys serious? You think Sylva has a chance of winning a boxing match against Roy Jones? He may be past his prime but he is a top notch boxer, not 1-1 semi pro boxer. Come on guys Jones would mop the floor with Sylva in pure boxing match.
Sylva may not be able to beat Jones. There is no questioning Jones' skill in the ring; even at his age now. But the match would be fun to watch. You are taking two athletes that are both in the upper echelon of their respective disciplines. It would be fun to watch, and kind of a historical type of challenge match.