• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How to fight larger opponents

What training exercise? The one I talked about, or did you mention one I missed?

Chikara

karate es el amor de mi vida.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great ideas! Try rolling in some street clothes, too. I wear a coat and tie or suit and dress shoes to work. That's a lot different fighting environment than gym gear, MMA shorts, or a gi.

I would like to try full-blown self defense where I am "surprised" by an attacker with a knife in low lighting while I'm standing on pavement in my nice clothes with a briefcase as though I was waiting for a train. Many of the attacks in Germany, where I live, happen late at night in train stations.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

Wow, you guys sound just like my new sensei! We had a blast one time practicing on the ground with knives and guns, multiple attackers, no light, and without using certain body parts. He would just say, "Okay, keep doing what you're doing, but don't use any hands." Just another idea to share.

^ this one...

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

Yup! All those ideas both separately and together. :D You do get to feeling the adrenaline feeling a little bit from the weapon stuff, even though they're fake.

Chikara

Yup! All those ideas both separately and together. :D You do get to feeling the adrenaline feeling a little bit from the weapon stuff, even though they're fake.

yep! :)

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

Great ideas! Try rolling in some street clothes, too. I wear a coat and tie or suit and dress shoes to work. That's a lot different fighting environment than gym gear, MMA shorts, or a gi.

There is a lot to be said about practicing in less than ideal attire.

Early this year, a buddy of mine on the PD and I took a ground fighting tactics course put on by our state Law Enforcement Training Center. The instructor said he use to train a few of the courses with full duty belt on. Try rolling around on the ground on your back, attempting sweeps and such, while you have bulging packages of cuffs, pepper spray, taser, and your gun holster around your hips and waste. It really changes everything.

yep! :)

Its adding that element of the adrenaline dump that helps to make that training all the more valuable. I think I may have to try some of those ideas eventually.

Also, the sensei for AJJ said that BB's don't even wear gi's anymore, just normal clothes for training. Cool huh! :P

Chikara

Yeah, gi's really aren't great work out clothes. I pretty much only wear mine for tests and the like.