• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How do we define "Master"?

I think you have to look at what context you are using it in. Often we tend to hold the title "master" in high esteem whereas really you wouldn't be wrong to refer to a teacher or someone you respect as "master x". In ITF taekwondo you officially receive the title at 7th degree but to get promoted to 7th it is less about physical ability and more about what you have contributed back to the art. I think for me "master" is someone who has great physical ability, has dedicated a significant amount of their life to attempting to master their style (can this ever be acheived?) and passes on their knowledge to others.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a 10th dan in Judo once- a fairly old man with the only red belt that I've ever seen in judo. I think 'master' is more or less an honorary term for someone who through their lifetime has devoted themselves to the art and mastered the curriculum and beyond for many, many years. Also perhaps someone who knows it inside and out, has been practicing for decades, and who knows how to teach it well to boot.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

I believe a true master is near the top ranks of the style, knows most of it, has contributed to it, devoted himself to it, is one of the best in the world at it, and above call, can effectively teach it. Notice I didn't add 'and who invented it'. From what I've seen in my lifetime, they're rarely real masters.

I totally agree with this. I've seen many 20-something year olds that strut around calling themselves "master", and all I can do is shake my head in disgust.

A true master of an art IMO is one that not only knows the moves, but knows the system inside and out. This takes years of dedication and practice to that system. There is no set number of years to reach true mastery of any given system, but I don't believe that a mere 20 years is sufficient to understand any one system. Those claiming "master" status of multiple systems and are under 80 years old (my opinion of course) are only fooling themselves and people that don't understand the arts.

I've been in the system I practice since January of 1975 and still feel I have so much more to learn. I've had fellow martial artists from other systems introduce me, or refer to me, as "Master", and I've stopped that practice immediately. I am no master of this art and doubt if I would ever be anywhere near that level.Back in the late 1970's there was an article in Black Belt Magazine (before it went down hill) that stated there were more "masters" in any large American city than there was in the entire Orient! A sad commentary on the American mindset if you ask me.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Terms like "master" don't have a single definition. It means different things in different styles and to different people.

I've seen "master" used for the top member of an organization while others use "grandmaster." A lot of Korean organizations are like NewEnglands_KyoSa's group and use "master" for 4th degree and higher, similar to how some Japanese styles use "shihan." I don't think that one use is necessarily any better than another. Each group should decide what they want it to mean.

Sangngak, in your case, your students or your students' students thought it appropriate to honor you. There's nothing wrong with that. It sounds like you and your friends sparked something that turned into something great! Maybe, there, you ARE a legend. There are a lot of legends in martial arts. Someday, someone might tell a story of how you knocked out a bull with one punch or how you could send someone flying across the room with your fingertip, only using your chi power and without actual contact! Wouldn't that be something?!

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

I usally never cared for the title, mainly I think some people conjur up in there own minds a hero type worship were the person can do no wrong. Either there perception is shattered to find out the person is human. Or some dubious people with those type of titles and admiration or worship like status have taken advantage of others.

Why do we as martial artists feel it is necessary to define the term master. It's much more appropriate, I think, to have someone else remember you as such. As someone said earlier, you have touched a life in an important way.

There's a story one of my students told me that always reminds me of my notion of true mastery.

Once after a seminar with Goju Ryu Master Teruo Chinen Sensei, he and some of the other students went out to eat afterwards. In the restaurant all the other guys were wearing their martial arts t-shirts and jackets while Chinen Sensei wore his regular clothing. The waitress asked if they all studied karate to which they all eagerly responded yes. Except for Chinen Sensei who said "Oh, I'm just a cabbage farmer."

That story always stuck with me. I hope it serves some of you as well.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

I think that it can have different connotations, depending on how the word is used, like JohnASE has mentioned.

Like in most TKD styles, when you achieve the title of Master at a certain rank, it is more like a descriptive term: "Master" Instructor; supposedly, an instructor with quite a few years of teaching experience, and demonstrating the level of instructor that you are.

Otherwise, it could have the connotation of one who has excelled in the physical aspects of their particular style, and has garnered a great amount of respect and admiration from those within and without the style.

In a book by Lee Wedlake I remember reading a section on what it takes to be a "Master." He talked about the "traditional" definition of a Master. Saying that there were typically three areas that one had to excel in to be considered a master. He talked about Musashi and how he was not only a Master Swordsman but also was very skilled at Pottery and Calligraphy (I may be mistaken on that). Mr. Wedlake also talked about some of the modern Masters. Master Ed Parker for instance was not only a Martial Genius, he could play the Ukalalee very well, and had an innate understanding of mechanics.

In the Book of Five Rings Musashi explained that we should learn other arts to further enhance our understanding of our own.

In a lot of my reading about the old Masters as well as the Modern ones, they talk about having Mastery of the self. Being able to control our drives and our desires.

They also seem to have a clarity of purpose. Gichin Funakoshi for instance said that he owed his life to Karate and so he devoted his life to spreading it. Everything that he recounted in Karate-Do: My way of life, seemed to be to the end of improving his Karate and helping those around him.

Some food for thought.

"I'd rather have 10 techniques that work for me than 100 techniques that work against me." -Ed Parker

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone can be beated by someone, somewhere, so a Master is not necessary someone who can never be beated. I don't think that's possible. Sooner or later, if you keep fighting, you will be beated.

A Master, in my opinion is someone who has done something that very few martial artists have done. For example: A Master is one who studies up to his art highest rank and spends twenty years studying and practicing the art. No one can truely master a martial art.

Aikikenjitsu--Kenpo as the core, with Aikido motion and techniques added with Jujitsu arm moves added. 90% techniques I created using Kenpo as a base.

I think that a "master" is mesured by what they give back to the martial arts after they reach 7th-8th dan. As for Grand master, I think there are way to many self appointed 25-30 year old grandmasters. I have always been taught that you can not accept the title grandmaster or "Hanshi" until you are a 10th dan. I have also been taught that you can not accept your 10th dan until you are at least 62 years old and at this point its a life long title. My instructor is a 10th dan and has been involved in the martial arts for almost 60 years! He has given back SO MUCH without taking very much in return. That is one of the things I respect so much about him, and what I think a Grandmaster is supposed to do.