• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan Kata - Korean

granitemiller

In our school, which is a traditional Shotokan school, we have a kata called "Chinte", and this one particular kata does not follow the traditional Shotokan steps of the kata.

So I did some investigating and found out why. My Sensei learned Shotokan from a second generation student of Master Teruyuki Okazaki, but my sensei also learned Tang So Doo. When he taught me Chinte, he used the Korean style of it. I am not sure why and can not ask him anymore.

Now my question is, in my own school, should I teach the form of Chinte as I was taught (Korean way) to honor my sensei, while explaining to the students (advanced kyu and dan) why it is different, or should I teach it in the traditional Japanese way?

Should I teach it both ways?

I would appreciate your comments. Thank you.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" Confucius

http://graniteshotokan.wordpress.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

For the purposes of rank and grading use the Japanese version. I would still teach the Korean method, but as an off the side thing rather then a core part of the curriculum.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

I would teach the version that you were taught, and know the nuances of well, for the testing requirements. If you do know the other version, then I think that it would be something that you could have your classes work with in order to study the differences, and perhaps generate thought processes into why the changes may have been made.

Have fun with it! :)

I know that form, and like it very much. I would teach both. i would start with teaching the shotokan for grading purposes. and then i'd teach the korean one alittle later down the road, to those more advanced who have learned their material but still need to fulfill their time requirement. because i do believe this is a dan form correct?

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

I agree with NewEngland_Kysosa, that is if you know both forms. That way you can keep your katas strictly shotokan based and teach the korean verison if want to the higher ranking kyu's later.

I like the idea of doing both. I agree that for grading purposes we should change to the Japanese version, but also keep the Korean one but on the side. I am going to start looking into the Bunkai of both and then write up a description of both with the Bunkai and analyze the changes and see if I can determine why they were changed. I will post it once I am done.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" Confucius

http://graniteshotokan.wordpress.com

I like the idea of doing both. I agree that for grading purposes we should change to the Japanese version, but also keep the Korean one but on the side. I am going to start looking into the Bunkai of both and then write up a description of both with the Bunkai and analyze the changes and see if I can determine why they were changed. I will post it once I am done.

that would be cool :) we'd all appreciate that :karate:

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

that would be cool :) we'd all appreciate that :karate:

Sweet! I always like to learn something new.