• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Attended a Weapon Retention Seminar

I attended a Weapon Retention seminar on 3-13-08. It was an 8 hour course, and I learned a lot of useful information. It was one of the most productive MA courses that I have been to.

We covered guns being grabbed while in the holster. Some of the defenses were using body movement to get outside of the grabbing hand, and away from the off hand, and using wrist lock maneuvers to break the grips and get away. We did defenses for both straight arm and bent arm attackers.

We moved on to retention while on the ground, when in the mount, and in the closed guard. We worked into a Kimura/keylock situation, and also some standing armbars from a sweep. Very cool stuff.

Lastly, we went over retention in situations when the gun is drawn, and may be grabbed, either on the gun or the gun hand. Lots of reps, lots of muscle memory. Overall, it was very good training, and I hope that I can retain most of it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sounds like you learnt alot from that seminar, thats what its all about, getting information from all sources.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

Write it down I often find it helpful to take a note book

I did take some notes, during our little breaks. My DT partner was there as well, so hopefully between the 2 of us, we are able to recall most of the information.

Write it down I often find it helpful to take a note book

I did take some notes, during our little breaks. My DT partner was there as well, so hopefully between the 2 of us, we are able to recall most of the information.

sounds cool :) , was it taught by a Krav Maga instructor?

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

No, it was taught by our state law enforcement's academy DT instructor. He seemed very knowlegeable, and also had experience in Japanese styles.